Secretly Famous Part 16

Part 16

”So…” I say when I’m alone with Steel in the living room. The rest of them left the house a few minutes ago and it is too quiet in here and I don’t know if I want to do this anymore. Butterflies are being wild in my stomach and I don’t know why I’m so nervous.

”I wanted to ask you out,” he says calmly.

”What?” I bring my head up and meet his gaze, a bit shocked over the news, just to be eaten by his magnetic eyes.

”Back in the other town at that party when I realised whose daughter you were.” He puts his head to the side and looks me up and down. ”I don’t know how you pulled it off though. You sure are a good actor.”

I clench my teeth angrily. ”What is that supposed to mean?”

”Whatever you want it to mean, babe.” His smirk makes me more annoyed. ”You must have been pregnant back then too though no one noticed the signs. You should be happy the press didn’t find out yet.”

”And this is what you wanted to talk to me about?”

”No, I just want to clear some things, like my obvious interest in you. And the fact that pregnant women are sexy.”

”Didn’t Anna beat you enough with that magazine yesterday?” I look around the room for something to hit him with and he just laughs at my expression. ”What’s so funny?” I growl at him.

”Because it doesn’t matter what I think. I am too late, I heard the rumours about you and Matt and the baby when I got back. I wish you all the luck, I know how it feels to be a single parent and I don’t want you to go through any break up with your child’s father. So whatever I think about you doesn’t matter.”

”Oh.” I feel weak after his confession and I must sit down on the sofa. ”So Shawn Steel is interested in me?”

”A lot of people are interested in you Darlene, but I fell for you when I realised the game you are playing.”

”I didn’t mean it as a game.” I frown.

”You and I will fit together though. Stop struggling, I know you want it too.”

I look deep into his eyes, searching for something to help me resist but I can’t find it.

”You’re right.” I breath out slowly. ”Should we start down there?” I point towards the corner and he nods.

We rush down there and I sit down and look up smiling to him as he hovers over the blank black surface so close to me.

”So, how do you want to start this, MD?” he asks me with a sly smile.

I look down at my hands and then let them dance over the piano keys. The sound that fills the room is something I’ve been thinking of since yesterday and it feels good to practise it in reality instead of my mind. It is classic with a bit of rocky pieces stuck in the intro.

”First of all,” I start saying. ”is to scrap all Darlene manners. Can we agree on that?”

”I knew it!” he exclaims. ”There is more to you than what you let people see.”

”I can sing most styles. Pop just have a wider audience and that’s what I got signed for.”

”Did you ever regret it?” he asks me curiously and leans in closer. I lean closer to him in respond.