Lexi, the Care Giver

Blake and I were right in the middle of a tickling fight on our couch when the door to our apartment was almost kicked opened and a sullen Alex walked in, dragging his feet, looking miserable.

Of course, Blake and I just sort of jumped away from each other in surprise so Alex took advantage of the moment and threw himself on the couch, right in the middle of us.

“We broke up again,” Alex announced after a few seconds of confused silence.

Blake threw his head back and groaned in exasperation. “Why, hello Alex, how are you? I’m fine, thank you. Oh no, don’t worry, we’re not busy, come on right in,” Blake ranted, rolling his eyes, got up from the couch, and headed to the kitchen.

“What happened this time?” I asked Alex.

“It’s always the same thing,” he whined. “Seriously, how many times does he want me to come out of the closet? People that matter to me know, and that should be enough.”

            “Come on, tell the truth. Admit it’s because you’re secretly in love with me and keep running to me every time you have problems,” Blake cut in, coming back with a pint of ice cream. He handed it to Alex with a spoon and let himself fall back on the couch on the other side of Alex, and leaned his head back against the couch.

I half smiled at the gesture. This friendship Blake and Alex had built over the years warmed my heart for some reason. I wasn’t sure if it was because Blake had hated my friend for so long because Alex had dated me even though he knew he was gay and had hurt me in the process or just because I loved the fact that my boyfriend was in such good terms with my own friends. I think it was a little bit of both actually.

“As hot as you are Blake, you’re not my type.” Alex answered absentmindedly, digging in the ice cream.

Blake gasped and covered his heart. “You mean, irresistibly sexy and impressively intelligent isn’t your type?”

“No, unavailable isn’t my type,” he answered mockingly and the two boys laughed.

I rolled my eyes at the antics. “Anyway, back on your Travis issues. Who did the breaking up this time?”

Alex shrugged but started talking. “He did. He’s just always complaining about how I’m ashamed of my sexual orientation and he can’t be with someone who doesn’t accept who they are, but that’s just bullshit! I’m okay with being gay, I’ve been okay with it for a long time now. I just don’t think it’s what defines me. I don’t think your sexual orientation should be the predominant aspect about yourself you should be telling them the second you introduce yourself. Do you go up to new people and say “Hey, my name’s Lexi Grayson and I love sexy running back boys that wear spandex pants and used to drive a pimp mobile.”

Blake raised his hands on his side and made an offended face. “Okay, first off, I got rid of that Escalade, so you guys need to shut up about this and second, Lexi,” I got a smirk, “please, start introducing yourself that way from now on.”

I narrowed my eyes. “You,” I said pointing to Blake, “shut up.” And then I looked at Alex, “And you, need to talk about this with your boyfriend.”

Alex took a second to answer because he was eating ice cream. “I already have! He just doesn’t seem to care and I just don’t see the point in forcing it anymore.” He sighed.

“Do you love him?” Blake asked.

Alex frowned. “Huh?”

“Travis, do you love him?” my boyfriend pressed.