Chapter Twenty: The Battle in New York

I was suspended in the air for a brief moment, looking down at the tiny cars and the withering masses of people that milled around like a colony of ants. Then, my wings caught me. I flapped them vigorously, and they hummed against my back as Glen swooped in next to me.

"Where do you think those winter fae took sprite boy?" He asked, scanning the horizon of New York City.

I was deathly aware of the sun setting lower and lower, bathing the skyscrapers in shadow.

"They're probably going to make Diandre lead them to the Summer Scepter," I answered. "Unless we take them down first."

Glen's wings twitched at the mention of a challenge.

"Then what are we hovering around here for?" He smirked, and zoomed past me.

I followed him, and the two of us weaved between towering buildings that rose intimidatingly high above us. I could see my reflection in the many windows, streaking through the sky as humans gaped at me from inside their offices and apartments.

"So much for the fae trying to keep a low profile." I snorted as Glen waved at a little girl that snapped a picture of him on a pink camera.

The polluted air filled my lungs, and in the distance I could hear the blasting horn of a cargo ship as I darted around an enormous hotel. I tried to recall and follow the path that the female knight and Noel had taken just moments before. My mind was still a little dazed after Lorely's death, and just the thought of her ashes blowing in the wind made my speed falter slightly.

I shook my head, shoving away the graphic images of the witch being consumed in fire. There was another time to mourn her. Right now, I needed to save Diandre.

I peered down at the crowds pulsing on the sidewalks beneath me, faintly hoping that I would catch a glimpse of Diandre's gray eyes or Noel's ponytail bobbing among the thousands of faces.

"Dammit," I muttered. "Where did they go?"

Glen's eyes were narrowed in concentration. His nose crinkled slightly.

"Give me a moment." He said softly.

My eyebrow twitched upwards. "What are you doing, trying to smell them?"

"I'm trying to sense those winter faeries' magic energy." Glen replied.

Why hadn't I thought of that?

I joined him, but the moment I tried to reach out with my abilities I was met with a flood of other emotions crashing into me like a battering ram. My eyes squeezed shut as my head felt like it was about to explode. There was joy, rage, love, hatred, sadness, fear, excitement, all churning around in one clump of sparkling energy.

"Dragons above, why do there have to be so many people in this realm?" I remarked bitterly, trying again.

I fought harder against the mental pain this time, searching through the hearts and thoughts for just a speck of magic. I found myself sifting through hundreds of beings at once. Sweat beaded on my forehead and neck. Suddenly, I sensed it. A flickering light of magic energy, calling out to me.

"Do you feel it?" Glen asked me.

I nodded. "I think that it's located this way."

I let the magic pull me as if I were attached to a rope, tugging me in its direction. I gained speed, flying faster and faster. Far below, I noticed onlookers pointing up at Glen and I as we soared over their heads.

"Where are you, Diandre?" I murmured.

"I think we're getting closer!" Glen called over the wailing sirens that wafted through the air.