Chapter 35 - Walden Mansion

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 35 – Walden Mansion

The van swerved to the right upon reaching the highway over viewing Sta. Monica beach, showcasing the white sand against the tranquil ripples of the midnight blue ocean that mirrored the starry night sky.

Kidnap stood on his hind legs and barked at the window so I opened it a bit, giving him just enough gap to stick his tiny muzzle out.

We drove straight, houses thinning to a countryside then turned to a slight slope upon reaching the foot of ravine that stretched almost infinitely ahead, finally proceeding on a bend towards a narrow rock-strewn path lined by tall, lush trees.

Soon, the house came into view. It was a lone structure nestled by tall pine and fir trees. From the outside, it must be three stories high with white walls and midnight blue panels. The front porch was lined with marble railings inside which an old wooden bench stood, centered by a marble table beside the big arched wooden double doors. The most interesting part of the house was the flat-roofed third floor, with glass paneled walls arching into the half-moon-shaped balcony slightly jutting out from the whole of the structure.

“Here we are,” Arthur leaned over from the front seat as the van stopped. Judging by the way he shifted his gaze uneasily, I realized that something was bothering him.

“Wow…” Becky gazed with awe at the house as we let ourselves out of the vehicle.

“I know…” I said bumping into her as we both spectacled on the luxurious house and as I did, Kidnap dove right out of my arm and scurried straight to the door.

The inside of the house was as breathtaking as the exteriors. The living room was spacious, with wooden tiled flooring, warm beige walls, accented by silky sea green tapestries draping over the large arched glass panels.

Centering the drawing room was a huge crystal chandelier set on the high ceiling over a grand concert piano, facing the set of sea green posh sofa just beside the smooth granite fireplace over which framed pictures were placed. To the left was a magnificent winding staircase leading to where more than a few rooms were situated.

There was a spacious study room in the rear of the second floor and I was amazed by the amount of hardbound books that were meticulously arranged in enormous bookshelves that lined the walls. The viewing room at the third floor was like a mini theatre, complete with a blackboard-sized touch screen LCD, sound system, media players and a variety of game consoles.

After the tour which virtually made me distracted, Leon towed me to the balcony while Becky was amusing herself with Guitar Hero.

“This is my favorite part of the house.” He smiled pushing the wooden framed glass double doors of the room.

In a corner was a lounging area with a couple of recliners lying about in addition to an array of musical instruments scrupulously positioned in one section; complete with a drum set, different blue guitars and a baby grand piano at the side near the shelves of records and music sheets. But what captured my eyes the most was the view outside the glass paneled walls.

Leon held my hand and pulled me to the balcony overlooking the luxuriant woods that bordered the house. From there, the breathtaking scenery put an astonished smile on my face. The endless stretch of glimmering black-sapphire ocean reflecting the moon as well as the twinkling lights from the city appeared so vivid to me as though I was in some wonderful dream.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. The air smelled of the sea.

“It’s so… beautiful.” I said while feeling the gentle breeze play through my hair.