Chapter 5

"I realize that you've never done anything like this before Ms. Granger, and I've taken that into consideration. That is why you are only serving a detention and not being expelled. Are we understood?" asked Minerva McGonagall.

Hermione nodded, thanking her lucky stars that she'd never punched anyone else before or she'd be kissing Hogwarts goodbye, "Of course Professor."

"So I will see you here in the library at eight tonight, yes?"

Hermione nodded and Minerva left, leaving Hermione to walk to breakfast. She arrived a bit late, and sat down with Ginny and Harry.

"Where've you been?" asked Ginny. "Malfoy was worried."

I sighed, "I was just getting a detention."

"The Pansy thing?" asked Harry.

Hermione nodded, "Yup."

She glanced around the Great Hall in search of either Draco or Ron.

Draco was sitting with Theo, Pansy, Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle, and hadn't noticed that she'd walked in yet.

"Where's Ron?" she asked, turning back to face Ginny and Harry.

They looked at each other and then pointed further up the Gryffindor table to where Lavender Brown, Parvati and Padma Patil usually sat, but today there was a new addition, right next to Lavender.

Ron.

"Are they dating again?"

Ginny shrugged, a not so pleased look on her face, "He won't tell us."

"Well I hope he's happy." she said sincerely. "I just wish he'd talk to me again."

Harry sighed and reached across the table and took her hand, "He's barely speaking to me either."

"And he's certainly not speaking to me." said Ginny, rolling her eyes.

"I'm sorry you guys. I never meant for him to get mad at you too."

Ginny scoffed, "It's not your fault that Ron is acting like a three year old."

Harry nodded slightly, "It really isn't your fault. Ron's just hurt."

"He doesn't look very hurt." observed Hermione, glancing over to Ron and Lavender. Lavender was almost on his lap, and she was running a hand through his hair.

"He really liked you Mione, and you just kind of looked over him and went for Malfoy." said Harry.

Hermione turned back around and glared at him, "So this is my fault? Because I don't see him as someone I could be with? That's rich Harry."

"That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?"

"Just...Malfoy's been our enemy since the beginning. He's hated all of us, called us all names, and treated us all like shit, but you...he was the worst to you. Ron was there when you were crying over things that Malfoy had said, and now he feels like you did a complete 180 and just up and left."

Hermione blinked a few times before she spoke again. With great effort she kept her voice down, "I didn't up and leave. I am not the one who stopped talking to him. He never told me how he felt, and I'm not a mind reader. The fact that you want to blame me for not being able to like someone is rich, seeing as how things ended with Cho."

With that she stood up and walked out the Great Hall.

Where did Harry get off thinking he could accuse her of something. At least she and Ron hadn't ever dated. Harry and Cho had been going out for a year before he cheated on her with Ginny. When we asked him why he did it he'd said that you can't force a relationship. You can't make someone like someone else if it just isn't meant to work.