Chapter 68: The Sun Also Rises

Holly walked down the basement stairs and found Bonnie and Jeremy, her nerves somehow still unsettled.

"Hey, where have you've been?" Jeremy asked.

"Meeting Klaus," Holly crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at the stun faces. "Yeah, apparently I had meet him before under a different name."

"What did he want?"

"Damon freed Caroline and Tyler and he wanted to use Aunt Jenna in the sacrifice as punishment," she bit her lip. "I convinced him that if I turned another vampire-a stranger that Jenna would go free. I compelled Jenna to leave town for good, I'm sorry Jeremy."

Jeremy hugged her. "You did what you had to do, Holly. Jenna didn't deserve to be in our world."

"Then why do I feel so bad?" she murmured. "I killed and turned an innocent person to save my aunt and yet I feel horrible."

Jeremy was about to respond when John appeared carrying a stack of books. "I brought all the Gilbert journals, I think I know a spell that might work."

"John?" she frowned. "What are you doing here?"

"You and Elena had been dodging my calls," John said as he put the box down. "I came here to help and make sure that Elena doesn't come back as a vampire."

"Where's Damon?"

"He left already with Alaric," John said as he handed Holly a journal. "Now start searching."

A half an hour later, Holly called Damon. They had found a spell that would make it possible for Elena to come back as a human and not a vampire. "We found something in the Gilbert journals," she said passing the phone to John.

"Jonathan wrote the story of a mother who called on Emily's services, her baby was sick and dying and Emily cast a spell that would bind the woman's life source with her child."

"Skip to the save Elena part."

"Well the child died, but the mother's life forced, flowed through her restoring her to life."

"But we already know that if Elena dies, she'll come back a vampire." Jeremy pointed out.

"Not if her soul remains intact."

"Her soul really?" Damon scoffed. "You're going to put your faith in some act of God?"

"I refuse to let Elena go through what Holly went through, so call it faith, but yes I'm putting my faith in it."

Bonnie was putting her hands against John's head, her eyes closed in concentration as she muttered a spell. "Come on Bonnie," Damon snapped. "We have a hybrid to kill."

Bonnie opened her eyes. "It's done."

While Bonnie turned to say goodbye to Jeremy, Holly approached Damon. "Thanks for what you did freeing Caroline and Tyler and trying to stop the sacrifice."

"A fat load of good it did us," Damon frowned. "At least Jenna is safe. So, you're saying that you knew Klaus all of this time."

Holly nodded. "Apparently, are you sure that you don't want me to go?"

"And watch your sister be killed, doesn't sound like a picnic," Damon winced. "Besides you need to take care of John and Alaric. I don't trust them.

"Be safe." Holly smiled as she kissed him. "And most of all come back alive."

"I will." Damon promised trying to ignore the fact that there was still a werewolf bite on his arm.

"We should have heard from them by now," Alaric murmured as he leaned against the doorway. Even though he had agreed that letting Jenna go was the best thing for them he was still upset.

Holly was finishing reading the spell that Bonnie had performed. "John did you read all of this?

"I did."

"So you know that after the daughter was reborn the mother died."

"Her baby was alive, she found peace," John saw Holly's upset face and handed her a letter and his ring. "Give these to Elena and take care of yourself and your sibling."

Holly gulped. She couldn't believe that she was actually feeling sad about John dying. "Thank you John."

He nodded. "I love you, Holly, I should have showed that more."

Jeremy came downstairs. "They're here!"

They rushed upstairs and found Damon putting Elena on the couch. "How is she?" Holly asked.

"I don't know yet."

"What about Klaus is he dead?" Jeremy asked. "Is Bonnie ok?"

"Bonnie is fine," Damon said furiously. "Elijah backed out at the last minute. Klaus is still alive."

Holly closed her eyes in frustration. They had been so closed.

Elena suddenly sat up, gasping for air. "Elena!"

"What happened?" she asked.

"How do you feel?" Holly asked.

"I feel fine," Elena gave a relived smile. "I feel human."

Damon saw as Holly, Elena, and the rest of her friends left the cemetery after John's short funeral the following morning. Stefan approached him. "We're heading back to the house."

Damon shook his head. "I think I'll skip the coffee and tea cakes."

Stefan sighed. "Damon, Holly needs you right now."

"And then what, brother how do you kill a powerful wolf vamp and his two face older brother?" Damon pulled up his shirt. "We need to think of a plan and fast, Tyler Lockwood bit me."

Stefan's face was filled with anguish. "We'll find something, a cure."

Damon scoffed. "There is no cure, Stefan."

"We'll find something," Stefan urged. "I promise."

Damon looked back at Holly's retreating back. "You want to do something for me, keep this from Holly, the last thing she needs is another grave to mourn."