eins : the singular blue stripe

black was all michael could see. not a comfortable black, the kind of black of when your face is smushed against something or your eyes are squeezed so tight that colourful shapes start a natural kaleidoscope. so with pink and green neon triangles dancing before him, he lifted his face.

the black turned to a clean, white pillow with lacy blue outline around the edge. he doesn't remember falling asleep in this bed, he doesn't even know this bed. his bed is black sheeted with a print of starry night by vincent van goph seamed onto the duvet, his mum paid good money for that.

so this was strange, a white duvet was quite the opposite of his usual affair. he takes a look at his arms. last time he looked at them, they were pretty clean, i mean, he's a boy midway through puberty, he hadn't got the hairiest arms ever. but these were a close runner up, and even more confusing, tattoos. when did he get tattoos?

did calum prank him again with the sharpies? it'd make sense, drawing hair on his arms and tattoos, that's the kind of shit calum does to freak michael out. but this hair was standing on end, and the tattoos seemed pretty permanent, a marker would've slightly faded due to michael's rolling in bed.

michael sits up and takes a proper look around the room, the first thing he sees is the watch on the bedside table. then the white walls with a singular blue stripe running along the bottom of the walls. that must've taken a while to get right. and the electric blue carpet, in what world would michael's mother allow him to have that?

she thought the spider decoration hanging from his ceiling was bad enough, never mind this ugly carpet. and that's when he froze. he felt a certain warmth against his pale, suddenly hairy legs and just completely froze in action, resulting in intense eye contact with a decoration on the wall.

it was a large cd in a casing, with the words well done five seconds of summer! beside it. he had never heard of this band, were they new? was he a devout fan? he seemed to be if he had a plaque for their album going platinum. the warmth shuffles beside him and he hears a yawn. "babe, lay down again."