seis.

Valerie slaved over a hot stove for at least twelve hours and if another timer went off she swore she'd lose it.

And one rang.

Shoot me.

Reluctantly pulling herself from the couch where her favorite Lifetime movie was playing, she headed towards the oven. It was one of those crazy surrogate mother films where the surrogate ends up falling in love with the husband of the couple she's carrying for. Valerie absolutely loved the fight scenes even though they were completely unrealistic.

Why do all the wives never know how to fight? Like if you're running at me with a baseball, knife, and or trying to strangle me with an extension cord you're getting beat the fuck up.

Yeah, she definitely was one of those people who talked to the television as the movie was playing.

Sue her.

When she walked into the kitchen the smell of cinnamon and warm peaches wafted into my nostrils and Valerie was reminded again why she loved Thanksgiving. Grabbing her pink and green themed oven mitts her eyes were graced with the sight of crust browned to the upmost perfection.

Dragging the tin foil pan out from the oven, Valerie heard footsteps behind her. She glanced behind her to see that Nicki had materialized in her robe, practically swaying.

"Can I be the taste tester for your famous peach cobbler? Oh please please please?"

Nodding her head with excitement and placing the heavy tin on the counter, Valerie carefully cut out a small square of cobbler out and placed it on Nicki's waiting styrofoam plate. The gooey peaches spilling from the secret recipe pie crust was enough to make anyone orgasm on the spot just from the taste.

It was just that good.

Nicki was practically salivating onto her plate by the time she was passed a plastic fork. She dug right in, the the juice from the peaches covering her mouth in a thick gloss. Sighing contently, she wiped her mouth on the back of her hand and looked at Valerie with her slightly hooded eyes. "Val, this shit is absolutely amazing. Remind me why you haven't auditioned for that Chopped show we always watch together?"

Valerie shrugged, blushing as she placed some aluminum foil on the cobbler and set it on the kitchen table so it wouldn't be forgotten when it was time to go. Every year Valerie had nearly ten pound bags of food that she lugged onto the bus with her because she had no car and no one in my family was gracious enough offer their services to get to the house they all ate at.

Tragic. I know.

But this year, Luca was coming, and it hadn't slipped her mind since the arrangement had first been made.

What the hell was I thinking?

She just felt bad for him for a second. Even though she loathed her family mostly, everyone deserved to be with someone on the holidays. Nicki was the only one she gave a pass to be alone on holidays because she had enough familial PTSD to never want to be around people ever again. However, her family was one that you just couldn't bring company around. They were crazy.

Yet here she was... bringing company around.

Glancing at the clock, she was she was running awfully late.

He'll be here in an hour! I don't even have a number to stop him from coming to get me!

Springing into action, undressing as she went. Valerie's apron was a distant memory on the kitchen floor in two seconds before she hopped into the shower scrubbing the flour, chicken grease, and chicken broth anywhere from my body.