Chapter 6

[Freshly edited July 28th, 2021.]

As they rode through the night, Coulta found himself worrying about Teeya. What would happen to her when Varin found out that Roane was dead and he was missing? Hopefully she wouldn't be hurt. Hopefully Varin wouldn't think she knew where he was.

When they slowed their sweaty horses to a walk, Wildas turned to him. "So," he began, breaking Coulta from his thoughts, "tell me why you were working for Varin."

Coulta looked down at Quiver's mane. "I had to work for him," he replied. "I had no choice."

"Everyone has a choice."

Coulta shook his head. "No. I was sworn to serve Varin. I couldn't go against him." He took a deep breath and added, "I have a curse."

"A curse?"

Taking another deep breath, Coulta nodded and began, "My father was a sorcerer in Berk, who fell in love with the woman his master had wanted for himself. My father had promised to find the woman and bring her back to the sorcerer he had previously been apprenticed to, but he stayed with her instead. When his former master finally found them, he cursed their unborn child to be forced to keep every vow made to the person with the most power over him. I was born that night."

He didn't explain what his mother had foreseen, described to him in the letter from his father that he kept in his sword belt because it was the only item Varin would never take from him, and Wildas saved him from having to tell that detail by not asking.

"So, this is why you swore to serve me?" Wildas asked quietly. He didn't sound frightened or disgusted, but Coulta refused to look over at him.

"Yes," Coulta replied with a nod. "I needed to break all ties with Varin completely. I assumed a prince would have more power over someone than an earl."

"Did he know about the curse?"

"I've always thought so," Coulta answered. Memories of Varin's cruel demands rushed into his mind and he tried to force them back as best he could. This wasn't the time to dwell on the past. "I never told him, but either my father did or he was able to guess when I never managed to fight him."

"I'm sorry your life was so painful."

Coulta glanced over at him, surprised. "I did have Teeya. She's like a sister to me, and a mother. She is his personal seamstress and she raised me."

"Does she know you left?"

"As far as I know, she doesn't. I didn't tell her anything. I hope Varin doesn't think I did."

"I wish I'd had more time to find out what Varin was capable of. At least I know he's not completely full of empty threats," the prince said with a sigh. "I wanted to know, who was the other assassin? How closely was he tied to Varin?"

Coulta shrugged. "Not like I was. I believe I was the only assassin who lived at the castle, but not the only one Varin employed. Roane was a hired killer, but Varin usually had him take the jobs that were more high-risk. I was usually kept to killing people whose only crimes were being too poor to pay their taxes, following religion, or falling in love. But he sent me after you because Roane wanted to see me fail. I didn't know you were a prince until I spied."

Wildas looked thoughtful as he took in the information. "So then you were able to go against your orders and save me."

"It surprised me, too," Coulta admitted. "I don't know why Roane thought he could take the job from me. He wasn't supposed to step in until tomorrow night, if I failed and you were still in the city. I wish I had been able to save your men. I'm sorry."