Chapter 8

[Freshly edited July 28th, 2021.]

Anil wasn't entirely sure she believed the story the mysterious sorcerer told as they traveled on from Windwick, but when they stopped to water the horses he pulled a folded letter from a pouch inside his sword belt and handed it over.

"I know you don't believe me," he told her. "You can let Myri read it, too."

He stepped away to help Myri get Wildas from his horse. Though she felt a little uncomfortable reading something so personal, she carefully unfolded the letter and read the script that was starting to fade in the creases.

Dearest Coulta,

You may not remember my face, but my name is Markiel, and I am your father. You may have asked yourself for many years how I could have given you up, but believe me, I did it because I thought it was the best thing I could do for you. I have written you this note to explain things to you that I know I will never have a chance to explain in person.

I spent my boyhood in the farmlands of Berk, until I was noticed by a traveling sorcerer named Alion. I was a minor sorcerer myself, and he took me on as an apprentice. I went to live with him in Mariadok, one of Berk's many minor cities. I was with him for five years, time enough to master the basics of my abilities.

At the end of my apprenticeship, he sent me to the village of Cassel to find a young woman named Eline. He said that he had had visions of her, and that she would give birth to his son. Alion was old then, and she would not come back with me to be his woman. I had made a vow to Alion to bring her back to him, but I broke that vow when I fell in love with her.

Alion found us many months later, living with her parents. Eline was in the final days of pregnancy, carrying my child - you. Alion was understandably displeased, and dueled us both. We took his life, but Eline, a very powerful sorceress of rare abilities, knew that you, her unborn child, had been cursed by him.

She told me everything that she could determine from the old man's magic. It was her belief that, because I had broken a vow to him, you were cursed to be unable to break any vow or agreement made to anyone with power over you. I discovered the truth to this - you were a very obedient child.

Eline, your mother, went into labor that night, and being as powerful as she was, did everything she could to fight Alion's magic. Just before you were finally born, she told me that someone would save you, that she had found the soul that would have the most power over you. She told me that you would find someone within a city in the country of Phelin, someone who lived in a great castle, who would love you despite your curse, and who would understand you and care for you enough to never make you enter into any agreements that would hurt you.

It took the last of her energy to find this connection and to bind it. Moments after you were born, she died, having given everything to save you.

I do not know how to explain those markings on your skin, I only know that they are either a sign of your curse, or that they were created by the conflict between Alion's magic and that of your mother as she fought to find a way to free you. But I can tell you why I brought you to Phelin, and why I left you as I did. I was doing what your mother needed me to do, I was trying to find the city or the castle she had foreseen. I don't know if I chose the right one, but I know that what is meant to happen will happen. I only pray that I have not caused you more suffering by giving you the chance to be free.

I did not give you up out of hatred, but out of love. I pray that whoever finds this letter on you will keep it for you until you are old enough to understand my words, and have been taught to read them.