Dream Catch Me - Chapter Twenty

• Dedicated to everyone who got me to 1,000 reads. xx

I wish I could dedicate this chapter to every single one of my readers, thank you so much for getting my story to 1,000 reads. It is absolutely unbelievable.. I never though when I started writing on Wattpad that my works would get any higher than a couple of hundred reads so thank you! And that is why I am going to dedicate this chapter to everyone!

-

"Ladies," he hissed. It wasn't comforting or welcoming like Mr Hunter's, instead it was filled with hate and malice. Just one word sent a shiver down my spine. So much so that I couldn't look him in the eyes, instead focusing on his hands.

"Hello," Jaz greeted coldly. Her attitude towards him gave me hope that she hadn't been brainwashed and lured in by his good looks and 'charm'. That wasn't said for the other girls in the class. Nearly every single one was sitting in their chairs already, leant over their desks with their head in their hands and more or less drooling over him. I'll admit, and you'll never hear me say it again, Mr Lewis is attractive. Paired with the accent just topped it off really. It's a pity to be honest, if only he weren't in a gang and a hateful, disgusting, perverted and deceitful man, he would be close to perfect. But because he was all those things, he wasn't attractive on the inside. Maybe at one point he was, but it would be interesting to find out what had happened to him to make him this way.

It may have only been second period but the class was restless and Mr Lewis was not happy. A majority of the students were slumped over in their chairs and mindlessly doodling over their books, as small patterns littered multiple papers in the classroom. To make us more energetic, he did the only thing he thought would wake us up and sent us outside for a run.

"I'm going to sit right here!" he shouted, "Until you come back and are energised. You shouldn't be tired and grumpy yet, it's only 10 o'clock!" Mr Lewis blared throughout the class. Each student filed out, scared by his sudden change of mood and outcry.

Jaz and I left the class, just in front of Shannon. Needless to say, she didn't follow us out. Mr Lewis had gotten so desperate for some human contact, he had to send his whole class away for at least 15 minutes. There wasn't really anywhere you could run except the field across campus. So the class started dawdling there, hoping that by the time they got there it would be time to come back.

We didn't go anywhere, instead we sat outside in the corridor next to the janitors cupboard which had its own small corridor. We sat across from each other on the floor. I tried to squat down easily so Jaz wouldn't notice my pain and ask me about why I was hurt. She would fall for the 'fell down the stairs' excuse, along with Joe.

Jaz whipped out her phone, a flashy iPhone with a bright green case on the back.

"What's your number?" she asked, staring at the screen of her device. I rattled off my number and not a second later felt a buzzing in my pocket. I pulled out my old phone, battered yet loyal and saw she had texted a 'hey!' followed by a smiley face. I chuckled and slipped it back into my pocket. We sat there in a comfortable quiet with Jaz playing a a,e on her phone and me watching from across the corridor. It was a small corridor, just enough space for the janitor to manoeuvre his mop and bucket out from the corner cupboard.

"Are you connected to the school's Internet?" I asked, seeing her on her Facebook profile. "Yeah," she replied. "Couldn't live without it! How sad is that?" I smiled at her, letting her know it wasn't too sad, but still bad she had out her life into that phone.

"Do you mind if I look something up? It's just I've been needing to do it for ages and-" I was interrupted by a phone dropping in my lap and Jaz saying "Sure," and not asking any more questions. I pulled up a google page, preparing to do a search.

'Reyes' I typed in, my fingers nervously tapping over the screens keys. I had been meaning to search what Mr Lewis' tattoo meant for ages now, but I hadn't got around to it. But not with some spare time and a google search I found my answer.

Wikipedia read, "Reyes is translated into 'Kings' from the Spanish language and one of the most dangerous gangs in Spain. Their signature mark is a king cobra serpent wrapped around the name 'kings'. This is worn by most of the higher members of the gang, with younger members acquiring the tattoo after 5 years of service to the gang."

It then listed a number of different members who had been charged with various crimes, rape, assault, murder, robberies and a while lot more. I gulped, knowing that this was the answer I had been expecting but was hoping to avoid at all costs.

Mr Lewis was in a gang. A big gang at that and he was a higher up member.

It was pretty typical really. Of course me, unlucky Jane, has gotten into some trouble with a gang. I guess it was just about time anyway, my life had been going too smoothly for a while now. New friends, great classes and a great new school. It was too much and now some unknown force in the world was bringing me back down from that high. Making sure I didn't get too full of myself.

I sighed heavily out of disappointment. One day, I promised myself, one day I am going to escape and make sure I can leave my past behind, leave everyone I know and run. A fresh start in a new state or even a new country.

"Why are you looking at Reyes?" she asked confusedly. My head snapped to her out of surprise.

"You know who they are?" I asked tentatively. She looked at me as if I were crazy, like I couldn't possible think that she hadn't heard of them before.

"Ah Jane? They're only the most dangerous gang in the state. They are famous for being around this town too. I'm surprised, even though you're new here I thought someone would've told you." Jaz said. "But you didn't answer my question. Why are you looking at them?"

I fought an internal battle with myself. Do I tell her? Or do I keep my problems to myself? Jaz was waiting expectedly for me to spill the beans. But I just didn't think I could do it. Yet. Jaz and I were only just starting to become friends and I didn't want to scare her away with my gang involvment and I certainly didn't want to place my burdens on her. Instead of answering her I avoided the topic the best I could.

"Ah well, there is a reason. But I will tell you later. Mr Lewis should be finished up now." I spoke, standing abruptly and handing Jaz her phone. I left her there on the ground, with a confused look on her face. I knocked on the classroom door with confidence, hoping to escape the watchful eyes of Jaz.

"ah.. Yes?" after some fumbling and a couple of loud bangs, the muffled words replied to my knock. I opened the door widely, letting my presence and entrance be noted. When I walked back into the class I saw Shannon standing near her desk in the front row. Her skirt was twisted and her hair was no longer in the flowing curls it was before, now it looked more like a bird's nest. Mr Lewis looked almost the same as when I had left, except for the small bead of sweat on his forehead, glistening under the fluorescent school lighting.

They both scowled. Knowing that it was me who had caught them again meant two things. I was in more trouble now, from both Shannon's 'posse' and Mr Lewis and his gang. But it also meant they were angry. Their scowls deepened even more with each cocky step full of confidence, I took into the room. I watched them both, I didn't say a word. I moved to my seat swiftly but I didn't have to say anything; the smug and knowing look on my face said it all. The tension was high in the room, all three of us in some kind of staring contest. Me against them.

As Jaz entered, following a few steps behind me Mr Lewis put on his fake smile and Shannon moved to sit down in her desk. Jaz slid in beside me, still in a state of confusion. In the next silent five minutes the class returned one by one, chatting happily and loudly. It seemed as though Mr Lewis' plan to make people more energetic was accomplished a little too well. He had trouble calming the class down. After at least another ten minutes he gave up and decided to pass out the tests we had done last week.

One by one he passed them out. Groans and cries of glee echoed around the class as each student received their mark. There was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get mine last, if I knew what his secret plan was, this was definitely a part of it. As if I could read his mind, he had one remaining paper as he headed towards me. He slammed down the test on the desk and said in a very threatening voice. "I'm very disappointed Miss Reddington. I was expecting more from you."

The words alone weren't threatening but he had to invoke some sort of fear into me, and he thought to achieve that by filling his voice with venom and hate. I wanted to roll my eyes. I knew he was capable of things I couldn't quite comprehend yet, but then again, I was still a teenager. A very good one at that.

I glanced down to my test, not surprised to see the 'F' printed in a big red marker in the top right hand corner of the page. I sighed, but not before I inspected the test closer. It was a different test. Originally he had given me one on a topic we hadn't even looked at yet and was most likely beyond our level of understanding in biology. But here I was, holding a piece of paper with my name on it of the correct test we had supposedly completed in class. I was stunned, my mouth wide and my eyes glaring. I hadn't expected that one from him. It was even as if he had studied my handwriting and copied it in a way so that it looked like my own.

"Don't worry Jane, I'm in the same boat," Jaz informed me from my side. I highly doubted Mr Lewis had duped her too, but I tried to be understanding. Gaining some composure, I looked to her and gave a small smile. "I guess we'll just have to study together," I proposed. Jaz returned my smile and was about to reply when the bell rang out, cutting off her response.

We stood up, packed our backs and headed towards the exit of the class. I didn't know about Jaz but I couldn't stand being under his gaze for even one more second, let alone one minute. I chucked my backpack on, twinning my sore ribs in the process. I sucked in a small breath through my teeth but soldiered on. We were almost over the threshold before Mr Lewis farewelled us.

"Goodbye Jane, Jasmine." once again he had successfully made me feel awful. The familiar shiver down my spine and the stooping of my eyes focused on the floor. His goodbye had seemed more final than a simple farewell from his class, as if he was intending something that would make me run, or be left out of his life all together.

After a short break from our morning classes, Jaz and I headed in our different ways. She was off to her drama class while I walked briskly to art, in fear of being late.

"Well class, I hope you all did your homework as I'll be collecting that in at the end of the period. But for now, I want you to draw your favourite person. The person you love the most. It could be an aunt or uncle, your parent? Brother or sister? I don't mind who, as long as you put pencil to paper!" Mrs Flanagan waved off the class into our activity and went to sit at her own desk to draw.

I was stuck. There was no one who I loved. I had no uncles or aunts that I knew of and I most certainly didn't love my mother. No one came to mind. It is pretty sad when you get right down to it. But then again, by loving no one and having no one to love means I am safe from heartbreak when they finally leave me like everyone else. I tapped my pencil against the pad of paper in front of me; the incessant tapping must have oersted Mrs Flanagan as she startled me when she appeared at my side.

"Jane? If you're having trouble, draw someone who you once loved. Maybe the heartbreak will allow some amazing daring to be produced." I nodded and smiled at her. I managed to do a lot of nodding and smiling nowadays. Nod and smile. There was really only one person who I loved before they abandoned me. My dad. I sighed, I didn't want to bring up old memories but I didn't want to sit here and do nothing for the next hour. So I finally did what Mrs Flanagan wanted and put pencil to paper.

I had to draw from memory. Dad's crinkled smiling eyes, his tall form and his short stubble. It was all well remembering dad from the years gone by, but I had drawn him in the position I had mostly remembered him. Leaning over me to tuck me into bed. Dad used to pull the sheets in really tight so I felt secure, even though he insisted it was so that I "didn't run away in my dreams". I'll admit that it hurt to draw him, but it made me wonder what I'd ever go if I saw him again. Would I say hello? Would I run away? Or would I hurl insult after insult at him, like mother had hurled her punches?

I leant back to inspect the drawing, and I found it to be almost perfect, but he was missing something. I racked my brain, I couldn't think of it. I couldn't even remember my own father? Inspecting it closer, I realised I'd missed quite a lot. Like the dog tag he wore around his neck from his time in the army. Or the way his ear had a slight nick out of it after her tried to save a woman from getting raped near his usual pub. I didn't realise how much I had missed, and that made me emotional. So much so that I felt the familiar feeling of a tear rolling it's way down my left cheek.

I didn't want anyone to see me cry. To them I was still the new girl and I don't want them to see any of my weaknesses. I stood up, stuffing the paper into my bag with haste. I scaled the chair back, threw my backpack over one shoulder and ran out of the room. I found the closest bathroom and ran into one of the stalls. The tears were still flowing silently as I slammed the stall door shut, locking myself in. I sat down on the closed toilet seat lid and pulled my knows up to my chest. The pain in my abdomen was stabbing, but I ignored it. I deserved the pain.

I don't know how long I was in there for, the time must have passed slowly. But my tears stopped quickly and I just sat there, feeling silly. How could I have let something as small and unimportant plague my mind to a point where it made me cry? I was ashamed though. The bell for the end of class handy rung yet, so I sat there in the bathroom waiting for the end of the period to come around. My eyes were no longer puffy like they normally were when I cried, so I applied more mascara to my eyes, trying to hide the fact I had been crying.

The dripping tap into the metal sink was interrupted loudly when the creaky door opened. The clacking of heels entered the ladies bathroom and I froze. I pretended I wasn't there and pulled my legs up further to my chest.

"Oh my god, did you see The new girl Jane this morning? Was she wearing a men's shirt?" I should've known it would be Shannon and her entourage that had come in, but I was too surprised at the mention of my name to scorn myself. I looked down to my shirt, noticing I had the cried out mascara smudged onto the collar of the shirt. I pursed my lips, hissing a little. That was going to be hard to get out.

A cackle brought me back to attention. "I know right! That girl is a breath of fresh air in this school, and I won't have it." Shannon announced threateningly. "She is too nosy and is going to mess with my life," she continued. Shannon must be talking about how I caught her and Lewis this morning, 'socialising'. I rolled my eyes, I couldn't care less about her relationship with Mr Lewis, but what he was doing it for was wrong. He didn't love her, he was using her but she had no idea. Shannon's entourage, Brittany and Greer agreed with her. A 'totally!' and 'I know right!' was all she had to hear to know they were listening to her.

It was then that the bell rang, and Shannon gasped. "Oh girls? Can you run and tell Mrs Miller I went to my locker? I can't get another detention!" she squealed annoyingly. I heard two sets of high heels depart from the bathroom, leaving Shannon and I remaining in the bathroom. I placed my feet back on the stall's floor and unlocked the door cautiously. I peeked through to see Shannon fixing her hair in the mirror, pursing her lips and winking to herself. I stifled a giggle at her vanity, and opened the stall door. Her mouth dropped open, now realising I had been in the stall the whole time.

Before Shannon to do or say something threatening and catty like she always does, I beat her to it. "He doesn't love you, you know. He's using you, like he uses the other girls." Shannon stood there stunned for a moment before her face turned into one big scowl. "You don't know what you're talking about," she retorted after she overcame her stunned mullet act. "Why would anyone listen to you anyway? You're just a fat whore who wants Chris for herself!" Shannon took a step forward, almost trapping me between the wall and herself. If it wasn't for the word 'fat' that stunned me, I would've rolled my eyes and moved on, but the fact she had called me what everyone else had for the past decade of my life really hit a nerve. my mouth opened and closed, fishing for a catty comeback.

"I suggest you run along, Plain Jane, no one wants you here. You should leave before you're forced out." Shannon wasn't done. With the word 'forced' she reached up to my shoulders with both hands and pushed me back, making me lose my balance and quite forcefully slamming me into the wall behind. Now this is where, if you were in my situation, where you'd hope you didn't have any broken ribs. The pain was bad, albeit not as bad as a couple of days ago, but still bad enough to make me crumple to the ground; out of breath and gasping for air. With my eyes closed, I heard the last
pair of high heels leave the bathroom.

I pulled myself up into a sitting position against the wall and waited until the pain subsided. It took a while, and I was grateful no one had come into the bathroom. When the pain no longer felt like being stabbed by a stake, and more of a petty thud, I stood up and ventured out of the bathroom. I was only half way through Monday, the first day of the week and already I had cried, been threatened and pushed over. You know it's going to be a great week when you start off on the right foot...

-

So what did you think? Not too much happened, but as you can probably guess I'm building up to something.. What are your thoughts on Shannon?