New Developments pt2

I had just returned from lunch when I met Lauren's smiling gaze, I was curious but chose to ignore it's possible she just got some very good news. As I passed her desk I gave her a gentle smile and proceeded into my office, as soon as I did I was overwhelmed with a sight of white orchids. They covered practically every inch of my office, I looked back to ask Lauren where these came from but she was already standing behind me,

"He left this card with them." She handed me the small red envelope and turned back around still smiling. Slowly opening the red packaging to reveal a card with Nate's handwriting-'It would be a great honour if you would join me for dinner this evening. Nathaniel'. Still feeling slightly overwhelmed by the sight in front of me I slowly made my way around my desk to sit down; just yesterday I remember being angry with this insufferable man and now he's sending me orchids asking me to dinner. When did this all happen, how quickly we went from friends, to secret lovers, then practically enemies, to now-well not entirely sure what we are now, a couple maybe? I was getting ready to dial Nate's number when something finally dawned on me.

"Lauren," I asked through our intercom.

"Yes, do you need me?"

"No, I was just curious as to what you mean when you said 'He left this card'?" I paused in order for her to answer but no reply came, "Lauren?"

"He said to be ready for 8p.m and he will get you from home." She said now standing in the middle of my office.

"He was here? When..?" My eager response had Lauren giggling although she tried her best to hide it.

"Sorry, he stopped by while you were at lunch and did all this," she gestured all around her "Then he told me to give you the card and that he will pick you up."

"So don't I even have the option to say no?"

"Well I don't think so and besides how could you say no to that, he's gorgeous. I always thought you guys looked cute together, I mean Marc was ok but the way you and Mr. Van Doren relate to each other it's so natural, like breathing you know." She paused and had a very concentrated look on her face as though she was momentarily somewhere else. "I mean that's just my opinion, how I see it. If you'd like it would be ok to take-off now to have more time to get ready.

"Maybe I will, first I need to finish up the presentation for next week's board meeting but you go ahead and start your weekend."

"Really? That's fantastic, thanks-I'll see you Monday and have fun." She smiled and practically skipped out of the room. One more hour and I should be able to leave.

Once again I found myself back at my parents' house instead my apartment; not that they had a problem with that-my mom seemed very happy with having me around and the girls have been warming up to her a lot more.

"Are you going out?" My mother asked as she came into the kitchen.

"What? Why would you ask that?" I replied not taking my eyes off the girls as they ate their dinner.

"Well your father is under the impression you have plans this evening." She said with one perfectly shaped eyebrow.

"He knows?" How does this man know everything.

"So there is truth in what he says then, explain yourself Claire, what is going on- you know I hate not knowing."

"I will, in time, or better just have dad explain it all he seems to know all lately, especially when it concerns my love life." Either she didn't hear me or she chose not to respond but she soon left me alone with the girls, possibly to go and ask my father what was going on.

"Auntie Claire, bedtime story?" Amy asked as she climbed down from her seat to sit into my lap.

"Oh honey, I would love to but it will have to be a short one Nate is coming to pick me up soon."

"Nate read too!" Emmy jumped in. "Please.."

"Ok, I think we can do that but you have to promise to finish your dinner, brush your teeth and pyjamas right after, no complaints." I had two very eager heads nodding in my direction, Amy had her tiny arms wrapped around my neck tightly- it didn't hurt but I knew she hadn't the intention to let go anytime soon, not that I had mind. When dinner was finished they did as promised and got ready for bed without any arguments. The girls were playing in their rooms when the doorbell rang; knowing who it was I shouted throughout the house that I would get it. My sudden outburst momentarily surprised the staff as my mother never allowed that kind of vulgar behaviour when we were growing up and the fact that I was practically running down the stairs to beat anyone to the door didn't help. Trying my best to look half-way decent I adjusted the loose strands that fell from my ponytail and straightened out my skirt. I was still dressed in my work attire as when I got home I was too preoccupied with the girls and did not have time to get ready.

"Sweetheart, you look lovely." My dad said from behind me, "Now how about letting the gentleman in?" he chuckled before turning away. With one deep breath I reached for the door handle and turned it, why I was so nervous I could not understand. A slight wind blew causing me to shiver slightly but it was not only did the temperature that affected my reaction, the sight of this six foot Adonis dressed in dark blue slacks and a white long sleeve button-down dress shirt, which had the sleeves rolled up. The combination might sound plain or might even look that way on anyone else but on Nate it was a sight I could gaze upon for hours, maybe even longer.

"Hey,"

"Hi," We stood there for a while longer as if we weren't quite sure how to proceed and not only referring to this night but our relationship on a whole.

"It might help if you actually let the man inside Claire." My dad started laughing as he pushed me aside to shake Nate's and let him inside.

"Thank you Ariston." Nate smiled at me as he stepped in, " I thought I was going to have beg for a minute."

"Technically I didn't have to let you in as you did not give me the option to accept or reject your offer." I folded my arms remembering how he just assumed I would say yes to his invite- although honestly there would be no option to say no from my stand point but he doesn't have to know that.

"And why wouldn't you, I had already consented." My dad said

"What? When?"

"He stopped by the office earlier and like the honourable man I know him to be, he came to formally ask for permission to court you."

"To court me, I swear we're not this house is not living the 21st century-in any case there is to be a slight change to the night's agenda. The girls are upstairs waiting to be read a bedtime story by you and I and on top of that I haven't gotten a chance to freshen up or even change clothes. So I hope the evening plans weren't too much trouble as I don't see us able to make any reservations. "

"No problem. Give me a few moments and I'll join you."

"Ok. They'll be excited to see you, they've missed you."

"I've missed them...and you also." He took my hand while approaching me cautiously, he glanced to his left I assume to see if my dad was still watching but he was already gone. Sliding his hand along my arm up to my neck and then using his fingers to slowly massage my head-the sensation was incredible-the feel of his fingers on my scalp was simply divine. Such a simple act and my body was fighting for control, I felt myself turning into mush. Without any control I released such a sensual moan that immediately caused me to blush. I sounded like I was having a mini-orgasm in my parents' foyer and all he was doing was massaging my scalp. Then suddenly the lovely sensations stopped my eyes flew open to catch the smirk on Nate's face, he knew what effect he had on me and it was clear he enjoyed having that power.

"I'll see you in a minute." I turned away making my way up the spiral staircase, still blushing as I could still feel his eyes on me. Our one night in Erie was magnificent but something told me deep in my gut that I had only just scratched the surface where that man was concerned."

AN

Doing my very best to write on my vacation but im home in Jamaica so don hate me if i dont manage to much, sunshine and beaches is calling me :)