Chapter 7 - Meet My Future Sister-in-Law

Oooooh...I bet you guys can't wait to find out what's in THIS chapter, huh? *drum roll* See, I'm even being nice and not blabbering because I wouldn't want to leave you in suspense about the next installment in Adam and Maysa's relationship (or lack of). Enjoy...YOU BETTA!

"Oh my God...did I just hear you...agreeing to wait for my brother?!" -- Noha Ali

Chapter 7

Meet My Future Sister-in-Law

☻Noha Ali ☻

            Holy crap this Shazia girl can talk a lot. I mean, Maysa would occasionally mention how annoying she was (rightfully so) but now I understand the full magnitude of Maysa’s dislike.

            I don’t know Shazia that well and I’m really making an effort to be nice to her, but I’m totally distracted. In the next pavilion, Adam is standing there talking to the fruitcake. Good God, I love my brother and I wish I could take his place so he doesn’t have to deal with that pimp.

            On top of that, my bestest friend in the whole wide world has left me to fend for myself while she engages in what looks like a humorous conversation with Farah. On the other side of the pavilion I am currently in, Farah and Maysa are talking animatedly. I don’t know what they’re talking about, but it looks a hell of a lot more fun than talking to Shazia about “hot” soccer players. That’s Maysa’s category, not mine. She’s the one who has a personally autographed poster of Ronaldo hanging in her room.

            I’m kind of confused as to why Shazia is still here talking to me, and honestly, I don’t know if I really want to talk to her. I know Shazia wasn’t nice to me last year, but who knows? Maybe it’s something I did. I really have no idea, so why not give this girl the benefit of the doubt and be nice?

            Shazia continuously keeps going on about soccer games.

            “So…are you planning on going to the soccer games this year?” Shazia asks. I think she’s trying to hint at something and eventually I piece it together. She either is going there to support her brother, who plays on the team with Adam and Zakariya (though he quit), likes Adam, or is going to support Maysa, who plays on the girls’ varsity soccer team.

            To test out my theory, I say, “Yeah, I go when I can to support Maysa. In turn, she comes and supports me whenever I do a viewing at the community center.”

            A subtle look of distaste appears on Shazia’s face and I can see that I now have only two theories to work with. “I meant are you planning to go to support Adam?” she inquires again.

            BINGO! I smile, “Yeah, as a matter of fact, I am. Our little brother Dawud loves seeing Adam play and once in a while we even drag Rubina along. Are you planning to go to support Rayyan?”

            She nods, satisfied with my answer. I grin again; man, I can’t believe I didn’t figure this out a while ago. No wonder she’s been so cold to Maysa. She probably sees her as competition because Maysa is the only girl not related to Adam who he spends time with the most. They really are good friends, but I really like the fact that they manage to keep it all within the Islamic boundaries of a friendship between a boy and a girl.

            Speaking of Maysa, I feel uncomfortable at how she got blown off by Shazia. That was completely rude, but knowing Maysa, I know that she appreciated me being quiet and not intervening. Her nod indicated that she was going off to talk to Farah. That is the way I interpreted it, and I hope that’s what she meant.