three

i step into braxton's office, just as he's walking out. he puts his hands on my shoulders, making me come to a complete stop.

"okay, your ex husband and his dad are in the lobby right now and i'm about to go get them. i'm sorry again for not know that david was his father." he apologizes.

"that's fine. how could you know?" i ask.

he thins his lips together for a second, "if you don't want to work with them, that's alright. i can do it alone."

"it's fine." i repeat, emphasizing my words. "i can handle jack."

he nods his head, "okay, then would you like to come downstairs with me to get them?" he grins.

"i would love to." i lie, knowing that i have to face jack once again for the second time this week.

i watch beside braxton, not holding his hand and trying to be all professional and presentable. which is all of the time actually. we make it down to the lobby and i see jack and david conversing with one another.

probably over something really random because they always discuss random topics. jack could keep a conversation about anything forever.

"mr. gilinsky." braxton calls out and they both turn their heads.

david is the first to stand politely and shake both of our hands. well, he pulls me in for a small hug and i don't mind it at all.

"it's nice to see you again." he smiles directly at me and braxton.

"you too." i reply.

"first, do you guys- by any chance- have a cafeteria or a simple vending machine? jack has been nagging me about getting food." david chuckles and jack sends him an unkind glare.

"yes, it's downstairs." braxton answers.

"and you expect me to just find it myself?" jack snaps like the brat he is.

"my assistant-" braxton starts, but then is cut off.

"octavia."

my eyes widen as my name leaves jack's pink lips. david looks at him confused and jack just stares at me impassively.

"i want octavia to show me where it is." he mutters, clenching his jaw.

"i don't think that's a good-"

"please, baby." braxton quietly mumbles, practically pleading. "just show him where it is and then come up to my office. i just need to start documents with mr. gilinsky."

i sigh, "fine. only because i'd practically do anything for you."

he grins, "i love you." he mouths.

"yeah, yeah. i know." i grumble and then look up at jack. "let's go." i murmur.

he follows behind me, his shoes tapping against the tile floor in an annoying way that i always hated. when we're out of sight and further away from braxton and david, jack speaks up.

"that was the purse i bought you in paris." he says as a matter-of-factly, his hands clamped together behind his back in a sophisticated way. "such a shame that you went to our honeymoon spot with your boyfriend." he mocks.

i narrow my eyes at him, "if you didn't realize, i left all of my belongings at your place and earned my own money to buy my things."

"why buy things that you already have?" he questions, stepping into the elevator.

i furiously press the down button to the floor below the first floor. as if me pressing the button harder would make the elevator move any faster.

"if i kept the things you bought me, you'd be on my ass all of the time about how much of a gold digger i am." i shoot. "it's been four whole years. why come back into my life now?"