Burning Candles

By the time Mercy made it back to Laika's room, she was still shaken up by what she had seen. She did not allow herself to calm down as she quickly closed the hatch to the passages in the study after making sure Prince Cress was not in there. Hastily, she slipped into Laika's room and with a loud sigh the closed the door with an audible click.

Just before that, Mercy had walked into the dining hall to fill up everyone's wine glasses. Lady Min had just asked Lady Laika a question just as Mercy heard a familiar sound. A soft sound of skin rubbing against skin. Her heart beat quickened and her palms began to burn as her eyes set on Prince Cress. Cress was rubbing his thumb against his fingers, creating the sound the echoed through the alleyway that dangerous night.

Mercy gasped in fright as she nearly dropped the pitcher of wine. Her heart skipped a beat as Cress turned and looked at her with a knowing grin stretched on his face. Mercy soon realized that all eyes were on her, and she mumbled an apology and ran back into the kitchen. After that, Mercy had made a beeline for the storage room, mumbling another apology to Beff, before disappearing into the passages.

Now back in Laika's room, Mercy allowed herself to breath. Mercy's palms were hot as coals and she curled her fingers into a fist, willing her body to stop shaking.

It was Prince Cress, Mercy thought as she pictured the cloaked figure in the alleyway. Mercy made her way to Laika's bed and sat on it gingerly, contemplating what she should do.

"I have to tell Lady Laika," whispered Mercy to herself. She had to warn her that Prince Cress had dark intentions. She prayed to the saints that Prince Cress would not seek her out again, but she knew better than to hope such a thing. If Prince Cress really did seek to do ill to Lady Laika then he would be wise to get to Laika through Mercy.

Mercy shuddered and her palms began to burn again. She brought her hands up and unfurled her fists to look at her palms. They were a bright red, almost as if they were glowing, but Mercy just pressed them against the cold stone floor to cool them off. Her palms often scathed and turned red whenever she was feeling anything but happy and calm.

Mercy went over to the vanity where her bag sat in the corner out of the way. She pulled out a large piece of fabric and a small bag which had sewing needles and thread. She began to sew the pieces of fabric together as she waited for Lady Laika to return.

Hours past with no return of the Lady Laika, so Mercy got up and did some cleaning in Laika's room and the study. More hours past and Laika still had not showed up and it was getting quite late. Mercy assumed that it was because she was still in the meeting with the King and his advisors, but Mercy couldn't help, but feel uneasy about it. Even so, Mercy took her leave and headed home.

On her way home, Mercy stopped at Beff's house to apologize for leaving so suddenly.

"Ain't no doff m'dear!" said had Beff with a warm smile on her face. "Youda done jo part. I's don forgave ja pink arse."

With a clear conscience, Mercy continued her trip home through the market and into the rough district. The whole way home, though, Mercy kept her guard up. Her palms burned furiously, but she kept them in fists. She whipped her head at every small noise, fearing it was Cress.

Mercy finally made it to her house safely and when she walked through her door. It was dark as usual. She set her bag on the table, felt for the match box on the wooden table. When she found it, she stroke a match on the side of the box and there was a spit of a fire gasping to life. Mercy lit the candles on the table and blew that match out. With a new match in her hand, she turned around to light the candle by the bed but stopped when she saw a dark shape sitting by the bed her mother was lying on.

Mercy's heart stopped as she watched the shadow stand. She felt the small flame on the match lick her fingers and she hissed in pain. She quickly put it out and turned around to grab a lit candle.

She whipped around quickly to look at the shadow again; it was still standing by her mother.

"Wh-who are you?" Stuttered Mercy, her whole body hot with adrenaline and fear. It was then that Mercy heard it. Never had Mercy ever thought that the sound of skin rubbing against skin would terrify her so much, it made her bones shake.

"Your mother has a beautiful name, Mercy," said Prince Cress. There was a creak of the floor boards as Cress took a step forward. Mercy's palms flared with heat and she quickly stepped back, keeping the distance between them.

"Mercy," chuckled Cress, "there's no need to be afraid."

"You are trespassing in my home and wish ill will on my Lady," hissed Mercy, gripping the candle in her hand. "I am rightfully afraid of you, My Prince."

"If you choose to do my bidding, you have no reason to be."

"And if I don't?"

Cress chuckled momentarily and sighed. He bent and gingerly picked up a strand of Mercy's mother's hair. "I had a physician in to look at your mother earlier. Her condition is very curable, but only with medicines available to royalty. Your mother could be back to normal in a week with one simple treatment."

Mercy's body felt heavy as she knew what choice she was going to have to make.

Cress chuckled again and stood up and faced Mercy again. "In fact, he was surprised she's lived for so long without medication. She should have died months ago. Nevertheless, come to the study tomorrow at noon. If you are not there, then I will know where you stand."

Mercy's breath shook as the floorboards creaked underneath the Prince's weight. Soon Cress stood within the candle light; his face was twisted in a horrible grin that sent shivers down Mercy's spine.

"Have a lovely night, Mercy. Tell your mother that I wish her healing." With that, the Prince left. Mercy released a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. Her body sagged and she leaned on the table for support. She didn't know how long she stood there, but she heard her mother groan.

"Mercy," her mother said, her voice hoarse. Shaking her head, Mercy brought herself back to the present. She turned around and set the candle back on the table, but when she pulled her hand away, it was covered in wax. There was a hole of melted wax in the candle where her palm had been.