Chapter 5 (Pt 1)

Humble Winslowe! A demure, slapdash shack of pearly pink stone with an interior of roughly six-thousand square feet. Outside, it had a wrap around deck, guest house, pool, a smaller than regulation tennis court, while the inside consisted of eight bedrooms, three bathrooms, a solarium, sitting areas, etc., and a storage bench in the foyer where one might hide a phone book. The manor was a massive mix of styles and structure, all of which impressed and distressed Violet something awful. Some rooms were open and airy, full of light and with pastoral themes. Others seemed secret untouched recesses, forest green and amber hued rooms with heavy drapes and solid wood, and books that when pulled might cause a wall to spin around. Violet was shown to her room by a maid who seemed so overly subservient that Violet thought she was being mocked. She was bracing for plenty of mocking this weekend.

Her room was heaven. A large four-poster bed with aged white paint supported a lush mattress and an even more luxurious vermillion floral comforter. Violet sat delicately on it to make sure it was solid before taking a running leap from the door and vaulting herself into the centre of it. There was no bounce. She was swallowed whole. It was like being caught in an avalanche and not knowing which end was up. A support plank that had popped out of position was the reason she sank. She fixed it quickly, feeling her way while her eyes remained nervously on the door. Afterwards, she placed her overnight bag ever so gently on a chair and looked at the view from her window. The property was wide enough that frame to frame was filled in with rolling green back lawn. She checked herself in the mirror of a beautiful old vanity. "A barrette?" she sighed, removing the clasp from her side-swept bangs. "What was I thinking?"

Then she saw the note standing against the talc container on a little tray. It was a large folded card with her name written on it in feather strokes of ink.

"Welcome to LLF Studios annual weekend

away from Hollywood, hosted by Chief Leo Finch.

Read on for your instructions."

The following list of rules spelled out how she was to have fun or else:

1) The game begins at 8:00pm this evening and concludes on Monday morning promptly after breakfast at which time the mystery will be solved. Guests should try to be in the dining hall, in costume, for 7:00pm tonight.

2) Once the game begins, all players must remain in character. Any player caught speaking out of character will forfeit his or her prize.

3) Players must wear costumes provided and labelled by scene/activity.

4) Players must use first names only.

5) Players must complete assigned objectives by deadlines indicated within individual character studies.

6) Players have free rein of, but cannot leave, the property or have any outside contact other than arranged by the game. This means NO CELL PHONES.

7) Be aware of further instructions to be provided in this location.

Violet began to feel like the Goose of Duck, Duck fame. She decided then and there the moment potato sack races were mentioned she'd excuse herself to the bathroom and hitch a ride for the train depot instead. She read to herself aloud the next folded sheet of paper which described her character specifics.

"Secretary Violet: She is the personal secretary and not so discreet mistress of film studio boss, Leo. A poor, uneducated girl who's found herself a sugar-daddy and a new sophisticated social circle. Violet is acquainted with all, and may be intimately involved with other guests at the party. She is a vegetarian.

"What?!" Violet yelped.

"TONIGHT'S OBJECTIVE: Remove an apple from a man's mouth."

The bathroom ruse and hitch-hiking escape went ditto for apple-bobbing – something she had skillfully managed to avoid every Halloween before she stopped participating in sixth grade. Now costumes were unavoidable. Violet headed straight to her closet next and was greatly relieved. Someone had some very good taste which meant she wouldn't look as cheap as she was meant to act. A shiny green flouncy cocktail dress was labelled, "Dinner, First Night." There was a pair of wide legged painter pants and a cream coloured blouse for Saturday, a tennis outfit, another evening dress, and a white, retro-style bathing suit with yellow daisies for an "Afternoon Swim."