16: We Donut Care.

Chapter 16: We donut care.

"Are you sure this is the address?" Max asked taking the little piece of paper in his hands, in which the address was written down in a neat handwriting.

"Yeah that's what Mia said". I took a bite out of my nacho.

I was lying in my living room couch eating some homemade nachos and watching TV like every other typical Saturday night before Max came in and started interrogating me. When Casey and I were still friends, we used to go to the club sometimes not often of course, sometimes I would just spend my Saturday nights with Roderick. We used to spend countless hours watching reruns of 'Friends' snuggled under a comforter. The memory of it left a void in my heart.

Roderick is a year older than me so he had graduated and moved to New York last year with a hefty scholarship from New York University. After my graduation I decided to move to New York because a) my dad already had an apartment here so I wouldn't have to pay the rent and b) my boyfriend and I will be living close together. Then Casey decided to join us too as her family was thinking of moving to New York . I remember the day she told me the news, we squealed together in joy for an hour. I thought I would finally get my best friend and boyfriend together and maybe I wouldn't be alone in a new state. But of course they couldn't keep their pants on and ended up betraying me.

Roderick and Casey have been trying to reach me, that is quite evident from the 145 unread messages on my phone and the countless missed calls. I blocked them but none of them had the balls to show up in front of my doorstep and confront me. Not even Roderick who lived 2 meters away from me. We would occasionally bump into each other but I would just slam the door on his face not giving him the chance to talk to me.

"But this is the address to his house- I checked there. He definitely doesn't live there anymore". He grimaced.

"Apparently your uncle Joe got in trouble with a ghost - he has been a recluse since, no one knows his whereabouts". I distractedly started to flip the channels on the TV with the remote.

"You are useless" He sighed sinking further into the couch while frustratingly running his hand across his unkempt hair. He was dressed in a white t-shirt and jeans. Lucky thing doesn't need to get dressed every day.

"You are a ghost who doesn't do anything except for finishing my food. Who's useless now?" I retorted.

"Touché".

"Gracieee", Audrey squealed running towards me. "I kissed a boy today!", she said proudly taking off her bag which fell on the floor with a light thump and taking a seat beside me on the couch. Max and I both held incredulous looks on our faces.

"I have been dead for a decade and that's what they are teaching in school!" Max commented sarcastically.

I shot him a dirty look.

"Oh really? How?" I asked, trying to sound excited.

"The other girls helped me pin him down and I kissed him".

The sounds of our laughter filled the air while Audrey held a confused look on her face.

"You are the cutest Aud", I hugged her from the side.

" Why is her bag moving?" Max was pointing at Audrey's yellow pikachu bag. The front pocket of the bag stirred making distinct squeaking noises.

"I almost forgot about your surprise Gracie!" she squealed picking up her bag and unzipping it.

A little white rat popped out of the bag and landed on Audrey's lap. It crawled on her lap nibbling on her white shorts.

"Jeremy's parents are visiting him and they don't know he owns a pet mouse. So he gave it to me- to take care of him". She took the little creature in her hand holding it against her cheek -"Please can we keep him until Jeremy 's parents leave.", she said flashing me her hazel eyes. A pet was a huge responsibility, there was feeding and cleaning to do.

"Okay you can!" I said giving in.

"Graciee you are the best!" Audrey squealed, I gingerly took the rat from her. It was half the size of my palm with big brown eyes and snow white fur.

"What's it's name?" The mouse crawled up to my arm making squeaky noises.

"Donut"

" That's a"-before I could say I was interrupted by a screaming entity-"GET THAT VILE CREATURE AWAY FROM ME!" he recoiled landing behind the couch.

"What?" I asked getting up from the couch to see him. He was crouched behind the sofa with his arms rested on his knees. Is he shaking?

"That rat your sister bought- how can anyone possibly name this gruesome creature after my second favorite food! " he glowered. I pursed my lips to keep in my laughter. Max the ghost boy who can scare the living bejesus out of anyone is afraid of this cute mouse.

On the other hand Audrey was howling in laughter.

"You mean Donut?" I asked him feigning innocence taking Donut from the couch and holding it out towards him.

"Yes-Get it away from me" he sputtered jerking back.

"Why are you afraid of him? I mean he's so cute" I was distractedly stroking Donut's smooth snow colored fur.

"I am not afraid!" he retorted crossing his arms over his chest. "This thing can't stay in my house"

Audrey reached for the mouse with her tiny. "He's not a thing! He's a mouse and he's cute. We donut care about you. You can leave!" She left for her room mumbling to the pet something about its new home.

Audrey isn't the biggest fan of Max. She was still upset about the fact that Max called her "Schizophee" (Though she doesn't know the meaning of the word) and I when I told her that Max has been the one who's been gobbling up our missing food she got even more disconcerted about it. Let's just say she doesn't like Max-at all.

But damn that donut pun!

The buzzer went off just as I was about prepare a snack for Audrey. I reached for the door leaving a scowling Max behind. Unfortunately, I was greeted by the person I least expected to meet.

"Grace we need to talk".

......................

I wonder who could that be.. 

Vote. Comment. Share