Chapter 5

In the early morning, I got up to feed Taeguk. When I walked into her bedroom, Taehyung was leaning against her crib, fast asleep. I walked closer to him and realized that his closed eyes were puffy, and his cheeks were stained with tears. Was he crying last night? I carefully took Taeguk out of her crib and slowly brought her to the rocking chair so she didn't make a noise. I sat down and started feeding her as I watched Taehyung. I looked closely and saw tears trickle down his face.

His mouth opened a little and soft snores came out of his mouth. I sat there, waiting for Taeguk to stop eating. When she was finished, I changed her diaper and set her back into her crib. Taehyung looked exhausted and I didn't want him going to work like this. I went downstairs and grabbed my phone and called his dad.

"Appa, it's Hyejin." I said.

"Hyejin, what's the matter?" he asked.

"Taehyung is really tired and I'm worried he'll get sick if he keeps going to work and comes home late. Could he take today off and come back tomorrow?" I asked.

"Oh, yes, of course. I wouldn't want my son to get sick, wouldn't I? Thank you for calling Hyejin." he said, hanging up the phone.

It was 7 in the morning and the sun was just slipping through our curtains. I walked back to our room and closed the blinds so it was darker. I walked back into Taeguk's room and tapped Taehyung on the shoulder.

"Tae, let's go to sleep, come on." I whispered.

He stirred and slowly opened his eyes. He wiped the tears on his cheek and rubbed his eyes. He nodded and stood up groggily. I held his arm as he walked back to our room. He lied down on our bed and I pulled the covers over him. I sat down beside him and watched as he fell asleep again. When I was certain he was sleeping again, I walked into our kitchen and started making breakfast for myself. I smiled at the memory of when I made omelettes for Taehyung for breakfast all the time. He would complain and complain and complain. But that was the only thing I knew how to cook back then. At least now I could cook meals that actually taste good. I finished eating my breakfast and washed the dishes. I walked up to our room to check on Taehyung.

I opened the bedroom door and saw him still in bed, sleeping. I smiled and walked up to our bed.

"Tae? Do you want to eat anything?" I whispered, shaking him awake.

"What time is it?" he asked.

"It's 11:30, why?" I replied.

"I'm late for work! Why didn't you wake me up?" he said, getting off the bed.

"I called your dad and I told him you're not going to work today. You need to rest or else you're going to get sick." I replied.

"I have a project to work on and my wife was complaining about how it's taking so long. The least you could do is let me go to work." he mumbled, his toothbrush in his mouth.

"Kim Taehyung!" I shouted.

He stopped brushing his teeth and looked at me.

"I called your dad to tell him you're not going into work today. You need to rest and take care of your body. Eating all that fried chicken isn't good for you. Staying up late and over stressing yourself isn't good for you either. Just go back to sleep. You can go back to work tomorrow!" I said.

He sighed and pulled the toothbrush out of his mouth. He rinsed his mouth and stepped back out into our bedroom.

"Do you want me to get this project done?" he asked.

"Of course I do, but you need to be balanced too. Stay home today and worry about work tomorrow." I replied.

"If you want me to get this project done, you would let me go to work. I don't want to hear you complaining about how long it's going to take me to finish this project." he said, raising his voice.

"Why can't you see it as your wife trying to give you a break from work?" I yelled back.

"Whatever. I'm going." he said, changing into his dress pants and dress shirt.

He walked out the door and slammed it behind him. I sighed and shook my head. What was up with him?

----------//----------

"Taeguk-ah, don't cry, I'm here." I said, bouncing her up and down. This was not a good time to cook. I have to handle a crying baby and a hot pot of soup. I didn't want to burn her neither did I want my soup to boil over and make a mess which will result in me cleaning it up.

Her cries grew louder each minute and I was at the point of pulling all my hair out. I set her down in her crib and ran down to the boiling pot of soup. I reached over to turn the element off when the steam hit my forearm. I yelled in pain and held my forearm. I ran it under cold water for a few minutes but the burn was starting show. I ran back up to Taeguk's room and noticed she stopped crying. I looked at her and she was playing with the toys that were hanging above her crib. I smiled and sat down, not even realizing my burn was there. I found myself drifting off into sleep a few minutes later.

"Hyejin?" I heard. My eyes fluttered open to a messy haired Taehyung. I sighed and sat up.

"Mm?" I replied.

"Why are you sleeping here?" he asked.

"I was watching Taeguk." I said, standing up. I stretched my arms out and Taheyung's eyes widened.

"Yah! What happened to your arm?" he said, grabbing my hand and looking at my forearm.

"I just burned it when I reached over to turn off the stove. It's fine." I said, pulling my arm away from his grasp. He grabbed my arm again and sat me down. He walked out of the room and I heard the closet door open. He rummaged through some things and finally came back with some ointment and a few band-aids.

He squirted the ointment onto his finger and slowly rubbed it on the burn. It stung so bad that I squeezed his hand. He flinched at my action and I immediately pulled my hand away.

"Sorry." I mumbled.

He grabbed my hand and placed it in his hand again.

"It's fine." he said.

He continued rubbing the ointment and I continued to squeeze his hand in pain. When he was finished, he carefully put on the band-aids on the burns.

"Be more careful next time." he said, standing up. I nodded and stood up as well. I got ready for bed and checked on Taeguk one last time before I went to bed.

"Why do I feel like you're the only thing that is keeping Tae and I together, Taeguk?" I whispered, turning off her room light.

I went back into our bedroom and climbed into bed. I lied down and stared at the ceiling for a little bit. Was our relationship actually dead? Were our feelings towards each other dead? I sighed and rolled over on my side and went to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Aigoo.. Hyejin has a lot to think about... Anyways, thanks for reading! Sarangheyo! ❤️☺️

--A