Ryker

Throughout the dinner, something about Scout seems wrong. I know she never shows emotion, but she looks nervous, and her jaw is constantly moving. What's with that? She puts her plate into the dishwasher, and closes her room door. Cade glances at me, and walks out the door, to her gig. Jason even glances at me, then the door. He doesn't see anything wrong, and Seth certainly doesn't. Jordan and Sheila retreat to the living room. But I think there is. I put my plate away, and sit in a chair again, my brow furrowing. I look at the closed door. Is she alright? Jason walks up to me. "There's something bothering you." He claims.

I shake my head. "There seemed to be something up with Scout." I state, looking at her door once again. As he puts on his jacket, he meets my eyes.

"Then see if there is anything wrong. She's probably just tense." He says and jumps out the fire escape. Seth heads to the bathroom, a towel in hand. He's probably wanting to avoid Scout in case something bad happens. I wander over to her door, and stand just outside. I quietly knock on the door.

"Scout? It's Ryker." I start.

She says nothing. "Scout? Is there something wrong? Can I come in?" I ask. Again nothing comes from the other side of the door. I open the door slowly. It's dark, dim, except for a small lamp that's on. Once my eyes adjust, I see she's standing with her back to me, her eyes fixed to her mirror. Her orbs lift to meet mine through the looking glass. She freezes, and closes her mouth I didn't even notice was open. "Scout? Is there something wrong?" I ask again. She whips around, her hair flying around her. She looks like a deer in headlights. Her hair isn't in her braid anymore. I've hardly ever seen that before. It reaches her waist in waves of white gold.

Scout looks at me for a moment, before rushing away, pushing past me. What was she doing? Looking into her mirror like that? I stand there, staring where she just was. Jason glances at me. He hadn't left yet. He faked leaving the first time.

He himself was curious as well. His dark blue eyes meet mine again. "Go see what's up." He says, and actually leaves, and I hear his footsteps, and the smell of cigarettes. My brow furrows again. Scout doesn't talk a lot, but how she pushed past me, her shoulder brushing mine, it was different. And not a good different. I know where she is. She has a spot on the roof. And that's where I head. Jordan and Sheila's eyes follow me through the living room, confusion plain on their faces.

I climb up the fire escape, trying not to make any noise. I succeed as I clamber onto the roof. As I suspected, there's Scout, her long curly hair blowing from her face in the wind. One leg is tucked up into her body, the other out in front, her arm resting on it as her other hand steadies her. She sits right near the edge, not afraid of falling at all.

She's facing to the side of me, but more of her back is showing. Her shoulders are squared and tense. Yet she also looks relaxed and at home. I recognize where she sits. It's where I cut as well. I wonder if she knows that. I don't make any noise as I move closer to her. When I'm a couple feet away, I say her name. She looks at me. Her grey eyes are cold, but at the same time, there's an underlying softness. I sit down next to her. She shifts just a fraction of an inch. As if I wouldn't notice that.

"What's wrong? Why were you looking in the mirror? With only the lamp on?" I ask finally, kindly, as though trying not to disturb a wild animal. She sighs, and looks away from me, out at the city that's bustling with people.

"It was nothing. Just looking at something." She says. She's lying. I know it. Nobody else would know it, but I do.

"You're not telling me the truth." I say simply. Her eyes harden.

"You don't believe me? I was just looking at something on my face." She says again, keeping with it, her tone irritated.

"You think I don't know you're lying to me? What are you not telling me?" I ask, keeping my voice calm, and yet slightly sad. Does she not trust me?