Chapter VIII

“So, this is your birth certificate?” Rowan asked as his eyes scanned over the piece of paper once more.

I nodded, unable to contain the grin that broke out on my face.

“Jay, huh.” He said, testing the sound of my name. "I like it." He smiled.

I beamed back at him and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him in for a hug.

Rowan froze and so did I. Why did I keep forgetting that he didn't know we were mates? I pulled away, feeling my face redden as I started to chew my lip. “Sorry,” I appologised.

Alpha’s eyes were still wide in surprise when he shook his head. “Don’t worry about it,” he said, exiting the room awkwardly.

I breathed out a sigh that I hadn’t realised I was holding and ran a hand through my hair. Way to go, Runt, I scolded myself. Jay, a small voice in my head corrected me, making me smile for a second as I momentarily forgot the problem I had on my hands.

Rowan came back into the room, still studying my birth certificate. “It says your birthday’s next Saturday.” He said.

I tilted my head to the side and looked at the piece of paper. He was right. This gave me the perfect idea to try and get Rowan to realise that we were mates. I just had to pray that I had the appropriate acting skills.

~~*~~

Saturday night rolled around at an achingly slow pace.Like just about all special occasions, a bonfire had been set up in a clearing and the surrounding packs were invited.

Willow and her husband had volunteered to look after the pups as well as their own kids, so I had a reason not to worry.

“Now, Jay,” Rowan said to me as he and I walked through the forest. “Even though you’re nineteen, you’re still under the legal age of drinking.”

I stared up at him disbelief. He was being way too overprotective and making this whole ordeal much more difficult than it needed to be. Although I didn’t really mind the overprotectiveness, it was subconscious. I needed him to know that it wasn’t just some brotherly instinct.

“I’m sure there’ll be punch,” Rowan continued. “So that should be fine.”

I put my hand up, stopping him from talking. “Don’t worry,” I said. “I’ll be fine.”

We arrived at the clearing and I slipped away from Rowan’s side to chat with a couple of people from the pack.

An hour or so later, I felt that it was now or never. Most of the people here were teenagers or in their early twenties. Someone probably spiked the punch that Rowan had mentioned earlier. I took a cup and filled it with the punch then sniffed it - definitely spiked with alcohol. I gulped down half of the drink and tipped the rest of it onto the ground; then looked around for Rowan.

I watched as a girl he had just been talking to smiled at him and walked away and felt a sense of anger build in my chest. I had to focus, though. I shook the thought out of my head and approached him, stumbling slightly and grinning when I caught myself from almost falling over.

Rowan’s arms shot out and caught me as I fell forward and he gently steadied my balance. “I thought I told you not to touch the alcohol.” His eyebrows knitted together.

“I didn’t,” I slurred defensively. “I drank the punch just like you told me to. And it was so good that,” I held up three fingers. “I had two whole cups full of it.” I giggled. Being “drunk” was the only way I could act like this. I could do whatever I wanted to and have an excuse for it.

“You’re staying with me,” he ordered as his arm slid protectively around my shoulders. But it wasn’t enough. I had to know for certain that what he was doing was a mate instinct and not just something to protect a friend.

I leaned against him and inhaled. “You smell really good.” I said and frowned, realising that I had voiced my thoughts instead of just thinking them. Perhaps whatever was in my drink had been stronger than I had initially thought.

Rowan took my cup from me - earning an annoyed cry - and sniffed it. “Who put vodka in this?” he quietly asked himself.

I laughed. Vodka? No wonder I was acting stranger than I meant to. Although it seemed to be working in my favour.

He positioned his face closer to mine, trying to determine how strong the scent of alcohol was on my breath.

I smirked. Now it was too easy. My inner wolf whimpered with want as I tilted my head up and placed a chaste kiss on his lips - my first kiss.

I had to stand on my toes in order to deepen the kiss and, in the process, pinned Rowan against a tree. He didn’t struggle at all as my arms circled around his neck. I knew it was his wolf. It had to be. Anyone else would have pulled back in disgust.

Just as these thoughts pooled into my head, Rowan pulled back, hurt and panic in his eyes. Confusion welled within me as I realised what the look he was giving me meant. It was rejection.

I stepped back and let my hands fall to my sides. My hands balled into fists to stop them from shaking. No matter what, I couldn’t let him see me cry. Although I’d let him see me cry before, I had to look strong and act as if it was a joke.I giggled. “Was I that bad?” I grinned.

Before Rowan could answer, I turned away and slinked away into the crowd of chattering party guests.

~~~~~~~

I’m sooo sorry for not updating... and for updating with such a short chapter! TT_TT

I’ve been really busy with assignments and I’ve had writer’s block; and I know that with this you’ll want me to update even more. I’m very sorry, but you’ll just have to bear with me.

Thank you for sticking with me so far. <3