f i v e

Shawn Peter Raul Mendes

Haven was the jealous type.

That was not hard to figure out. She couldn't conceal it very well.

When we were younger, it wasn't too bad when she would get jealous, usually over little things like winning or small objects.

But when the end of sophomore year came around, it started showing. It all started when I started hanging out with a girl named Lauren.

Haven despised her.

I never knew why, I always thought that Lauren was sweet and caring. But Haven clearly thought she was the devil or something.

Lauren and I had been hanging around,  not realizing how late it was. We just lost track of time I guess.

"I'm glad we did this," Lauren smiled up at me and I nodded my head in agreement.

"Me too, this was really fun." I admitted looking out at the dark sky in front of me. Everything was quiet, except for the faint playing of music from the stores across the street.

And that's when I remembered.

I was supposed to be with Haven.

"Laur, I'm really sorry about this, but I gotta go." I explained, scrambling to my feet before turning to her with a slight smile.

"It's alright," she paused, standing up before saying, "bye Shawn."

I waved to her and turned, starting to run to Haven's seeing as I couldn't drive yet. It only took ten minutes to get to Haven's from school.

Once the front door came into sight I ran faster knocking at the front door while trying to catch my breath.

Haven's mother answered the door upon hearing my frantic banging on the  wooden doorframe.

"Shawn! It's good to see you sweetie! Haven's up in her room, I think she's been expecting you." I smiled and thanked her before ascending the carpeted staircase and running into Haven's room.

She sat facing toward the window. I could see her reflection in the glass, and I knew I was in for one hell of a talk.

"Haven, I know I'm late but-"

"I waited for you for three hours Shawn, I sat on that stage waiting for you to come, yet you never did," she started turning around. "When they asked what I was waiting for, I said 'he'll be here soon', but you weren't."

I felt guilt fill me up, "Haven, I have an explanation for all this." Yet I really didn't, I was really just hoping she wouldn't want to here it.

"What's your excuse Shawn? Are you gonna tell me traffic was bad? That your mom wouldn't let you come because of a family emergency?" She stood up, running a hand through her brown hair.

"I know you were with Lauren, Shawn. I can't believe you ditched me for her," If looks could kill, I would've been six feet under by now.

"I've never been more embarrassed in my life! You moussed our gig Shawn! We had an opportunity! And what do you do?! You give it up to hang with Lauren!"

At this point, I was starting to feel anger toward my best friend. She really didn't have any right to hate Lauren. Laur hadn't done anything to Haven.

"What's your deal with her? What has she ever done to you, Haven? Why do you hate Lauren so much?" I spoke, exasperated.

"Because she's stealing you away from me!" Haven shouted, falling back into her bed with her small hands covering her face.

"Aves, she's not stealing me from you." I sit next to her, the bed sinks in as I do. Haven shakes her head and peeks through her fingers at me.

"Yes she is! This is the first time I've been alone with you in weeks! Think about it!" She was right about that.

Every time I thought about hanging out with Haven these past weeks, Lauren has always been there. Much of Havens dismay.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked, lying down next to her. She shook her head once more. "I couldn't Shawn," she began.

"I know how happy she makes you, you guys are really close friends. It just seems like you like her more than me. I'm just jealous because we used to be like that." Haven explains turning to face me.

"And we still are like that, Aves. Nobody will replace you. Ever." I explain. "You are my best friend. Nothing will change that."

She nods slightly before scooting closer and laying her head on my chest. I wrap my arms around her and give her a squeeze.

"I love you Shawn," Haven said softly. Slight snores came after telling me she had fallen asleep. I smiled, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you to Avey. More than you know."

aw I love being all sappy with shawny and haven
#shaven or #hawn