~2~

Oh, my fur and whiskers

Oh, my fur and whiskers. My future soon-to-be-ex-husband was hot. So, so hot. He was standing outside the lodge, talking to a few very handsome shifters who looked as if they were related to him, but I could barely see them because he was so hot.

I was even willing to forgive them for having come to pick me up in a pickup truck on my wedding day.

August was tall, about six four. I'm five six, not exactly short, but he would tower over me. He had broad shoulders and big, burly arms, and mighty thighs. I could tell because his jeans fit him quite nicely.

Jeans. Was that what he was going to marry me in? My illusion spell made it look as if I were wearing a flowing white silk wedding dress trimmed in lace, and a massive gauzy veil covering my face and flowing down my back, held in place with a garland of pearls and white roses, and he was wearing a black t shirt and jeans?

Oh, well. I wouldn't mind stripping those jeans right off him. I went back to mooning over how gorgeous he was. Full, sensual lips, high cheekbones, thick dark hair that I couldn't wait to run my fingers through...

Wait. I gave myself a mental slap on the face to bring myself back to reality. I'd never get to run my fingers through that hair. I'd be effectively divorced by this afternoon.

I watched him throw back his head and laugh at something one of the guys who'd come with him said, and felt a sudden twinge in my belly. Maybe Trey was right. Maybe he would want to be married to me...

No! What was I thinking? I'd taken leave of my senses.

A hot guy like that would never want me. I knew that quite well. I looked just like my mom, and I'd spent my childhood and adolescence listening to her moan about how men never fell in love with women who looked like her – and then watching her be the living proof of that. My dad had an affair with my mom, and left without marrying her. It had broken her heart. She'd never gotten over it, she'd gone through life dating jerky guys and mooning over my dad, who ran off and married some beautiful, slim leopard. Then he'd cheated on her and she'd booted him out, but that was another story entirely.

I sighed, and went back to admiring the scenery. August and his family were a very handsome group of shifters, and actually the scenery behind them was beautiful too. It was June at the foothills of the Black Forest Mountains, and the emerald green of the trees and the shocking blue of the sky were like something out of a Technicolor dream. Fat white clouds floated like lazy, happy sheep, drifting in a gentle breeze. The Black Forest Mountains loomed in the distance, dark purplish blue and capped with white.

The Black Forest pack, like many packs, had thousands of acres of property, which let them members live in safety and privacy, away from human discovery. They had a central family compound, where important gatherings took place, and where anyone who wasn't working would likely be found hanging out and socializing during the day. They had a farm and ranch animals, and a logging operation. I was in a building a quarter mile down the road from the compound, so I'd been told.