Chapter 16

"Soon enough, all of our ancestors were cursed with the animals of the zodiac, just as the psychopomp foresaw. They still inhabit our souls to this day. I'm sure the man doesn't know of it, and maybe if he did, he would still do nothing. No one knows but Akito, me, and now, you."

"Hatori, how do you know all of these things? Who told you?" I asked. The page of my notebook was covered in notes from Hatori's tale.

"When Akito was born," Hatori stood up and looked out the window. "When he was born, all three of us, Shigure, Ayame, and I woke up from a horrible nightmare. We knew what had happened, even though we were so young when that happened. It's part of the curse. I'm convinced that's how I know of the origins." He assured me.

I nodded.

"So, do you know where this tree is located?" I questioned.

"No one does. I've looked for as long as I can remember. Because the family's name was lost in history, no one can surely know where they lived or where this forest is." My heart fell. This task I have set for myself is becoming more and more difficult.

"Oh," I commented, much to my despair. "I'd have to find it to break the curse."

"That's the thing. Not only can no one find this tree, nobody can see the dead. That's a lost trait. Katsuo could, but it hasn't been found in a person in centuries."

"But they can see you? Right? That's all I need!" I exclaimed. "That's all... For them to see me..." I shrank down into my chair, sighing. All my hope in myself has been lost.

"I want to help you, Y/N. So much, but I can't..." Hatori rubbed his eyelids, visually angry. No, frustrated. "But I can try. I'll look around as much I can to find this place. I'll notify you if I find anything. And for you," He looked over. "Do the same, do as much as you can with your time."

I nodded. "I think... the only way that we have no chance of finding it..." I paused for a second, thinking. "Is if we never try, right? So we just have to try. That's the only way to make it happen." I spoke slowly.

He looked surprised.

"That's... profound, Y/N." He sat down at his computer desk again. "I think we have everything you need." I rose from the chair, and began to leave.

"Oh, and-?" Hatori added on the very end of our conversation.

"Yes?" I looked back.

"Don't tell anyone else the story, please. And good luck, Y/N."

"You too, Hatori." I opened the door and slipped out.

"THERE YOU ARE, Y/N!" I heard someone shout.

Who could-- Momiji? I forgot about him.

"I wanna show you the garden, remember? You were in there for a long time, so I waited for you! Let's go! I'll lead you there!" He bubbled like a boiling pot. He snatched my hand up and began to drag me. He was like a puppy that has been waiting all day for his owner to get home.

Oh, that's right. It seemed like forever ago he said that. The story seemed to transport me in time.

"Right... Okay, let's go!" I swallowed and produced a somewhat happy face. Apparently it was good enough for Momiji, so he continued to drag me to a big sliding door, where he opened it and stepped out. I followed, stepping out onto a big deck made out of wood. I could see someone sitting on the bench a little ways away. It turned to me, and I instantly recognized it.

"Oh, Ayame! HI!" I prudently jumped off the deck(it was a few feet off the ground, someone could fall off and get hurt), and scurried over to the bench.