Chapter - 44 *Challenge*✔

*Jessica's P.O.V.*

As soon those words left from my mouth, I noticed the way his jaw clenched and eyes went dark. My heart beat fastened and I gulped the lump which was forming in my throat.

He stared at me as if trying to read my mind, but my blank face showed nothing. His eyebrows furrowed. "Are you done with the joke? Now let me hug you." He leaned towards me, but I put my hand on his chest and pushed hard. He stumbled back a few steps, looking shocked.

Why can't he just understand?

"Don't you dare touch me, Max. This isn't joke," I shouted.

"What's wrong, Jazz?" His voice was so soft that it almost broke my heart.

Almost. But then I reminded myself about the promise I made to my mother.

"I just got my senses back. I can't be with you." I pointed a finger towards him, making a disgusted face but inside I was dying.

He shook his head, "There must be something. You're acting strangely. Listen-" he tried to say something else but I stopped him.

"I'm done with you, so just get out from my way," I hissed.

He narrowed his eyes. "You can't be done with me. Just make up your mind. I know you are lying because I know how attracted you are to me."

What. The. Hell? Okay, technically he is right, but wasn't he supposed to be angry here?

"You're crazy if you think that." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Is that a challenge I hear?" He smirked and again took a step in my direction.

What the hell? Why was he making this so difficult? This was becoming so frustrating.

"If you want it to be." The words slipped from my mouth and I cursed myself when I saw amusement in his eyes, as he advanced on me.

"Okay then. Challenge accepted. I will prove to you that you're making a mistake." He gave me a mischievous grin and my stomach twisted.

"Whatever-" I cut off when he took one more step in my direction and I stepped back.

I stopped when my back hit the wall. Max covered the distance and stared at me. He wasn't just staring at me, but burning into me with his blue eyes filled with intense desire. My breath quickened and my heart started beating fast. His face leaned closer to mine and I found my lashes dropping in anticipation of the feel of his lips on mine.

"And you say I don't affect you," he whispered in my ear and those words dragged me out of the moment.

Damn!

I looked at him and found him grinning at my state. What the hell did he just do? I groaned mentally.

"See you." He stepped away from me and I glared at him. I couldn't believe it. He tricked me. How could I let him do this? "I know you don't have a ride so I will drop you off," he added and smiled.

Seriously? After all this, he expected me to take a ride with him?

"I can walk, and I would rather die before getting into your car," I scoffed, getting annoyed.