Jodie

"What's going on? Who are you?" Zia demanded as she followed him out of the confines of her cell, Heath close behind her. 

"I told you- I'm getting you out of here," he replied. He made his way across the deserted camp. Everyone must have been at the celebrations enjoying the giant human pyramid- whatever that was for. 

"But why?" she pressed. She followed the man called Borton closely, watching him intently.

Soon they were at Ike and Jay's cell. The man reached for the keys strapped to his belt and unlocked the door with a creeeeaaaaak!

"What's going on?" Ike slowly came out of the shadows and into the moonlight.

"You're leaving this place and going to warn your King about the oncoming attack," the guard said. 

"What?" Jay stepped forward, nudging Ike out of his way so he could jump down from the cell. He narrowed his eyes at Borton. "Who are you?"

"We don't have time for questions," he said. "You need to go now."

"Aren't you coming with us? You'll be punished for letting us go. They'll know it was your shift to guard us." Zia was surprised that the voice that spoke was her own. She was concerned for the man's safety, but she'd be lying to herself if she denied that she wanted to know how this man knew her and why he was helping them more than she was concerned for his well-being.

"No, I'm not going with you," Borton said. "Besides, it's not my shift. The guard record shows that it was Gerry's shift right about now. He's at the celebrations at the moment and has the worst head for strong drinks. He won't remember a thing about tonight. I'll be in the clear. Now you need to go." He guided them along past the camp and down the Pass for a little ways. Zia estimated that they had traveled a quarter of a mile when he said, "This is where I leave you."

"Wait." Zia refused to move until she got some answers. "Who are you?"

"You need to go-"

"Who are you?" she repeated.

"I'm no one of consequence," he said. "Now you must go."

"There's no use in trying to get her to leave, without answering her questions," Heath told him. "She has a will of iron."

Borton sighed, frustrated. "Fine. My name is William Borton. Now go!"

Zia ignored his last remark. "How do you know my name?"

"You're wasting-"

"How. Do. You. Know. My. Name?" she said. Her voice was low and dangerous. If she were an animal it would have sounded like a growl.

"It's too long of a story," Borton said. He looked around, as if worried they might get caught. "Listen, I promise that as soon as this war is over I will find you and explain everything, but only if you leave now. Will that suffice?" He looked Zia deeply in the eyes and she stared back. His eyes were the perfect shade of aquamarine and they seemed to push and pull like the ocean. The effect made Zia dizzy.

"Please, Zia, you have to go now," Borton said. He grabbed her arms. "I promise I will find you again. I promise. Love is the key. Remember that. Now please, go."

She should have said no. She should have crossed her arms and refused to move until she got the answers she was looking for. But something about Borton's hypnotic gaze made her nod. 

Borton sighed in relief and let her go. "Now get out of here," he said nudging her to where her friends were waiting. "Run, and don't stop until you get out of the Pass. It ends about twenty miles from here." He reached for his hip and brought a satchel up over his head and threw it to Jay. "There's enough supplies to last you for two days. Now go! Love is the key!"