Chapter 43

Ramlah

I wasn't going to argue with Mom I had resolved, only for Fadil's sake. Only for him. When he could do so much for my family, I knew I could endure Mom's vicious tongue against me. I silently rushed downstairs and I saw Mom was standing in the kitchen.

"Jee?" I said entering the kitchen.

"Dinner is ready. Prepare a salad and then help me set it up." she enjoined from the cooker where she was stirring the pot of curry.

I took out the variety of vegetables for the salad from the fridge and started washing them when Mom asked, "How is your father?"

"Same. Doctors say it will take a long time to recover. He ..." I hesitated as I took out the chopping board and knife.

"He?" Mom had turned around and crossed her arms over her chest.

"He may never recover fully. But let's see. Inshaa Allah khair" I said with eyes downcast as I sliced the cucumber.

There was a long silence. I didn't lift my head and concentrated in cutting the cherry tomatoes into two pieces when Mom mumbled, "Inshaa Allah."

My eyelids rose and I saw she was lost in her own thoughts. I didn't understand and I didn't ask either.

****

I served green tea to everyone after dinner in the living room and then settled on the sofa beside Fadil. Ejaz was on the floor trying his best to crawl and was able to move a little forward laying on his stomach. I was quietly observing him as Mom and Dad spoke to Fadil about different matters.

"Ramlah, tell me how was your trip to Istanbul?" Dad asked making me come out of my thoughts.

"It was wonderful. It is a beautiful place. You and Mom should go as well." I urged with a grin.

"Naah we are too old." he said dismissing the idea by waving his hand in air.

"She is right. Maybe we should go. We need a break as well." Mom stressed looking at Dad.

Dad glanced at his wife, "If you want, then we will see about it."

Fadil smiled, "Yes it is a wonderful place and I am sure you will enjoy."

"So which places you visited?" Dad enquired taking a sip from his tea.

"Well, we went to multiple mosques. They are really beautiful there. Then we went to museums. Lots of Turkish restaurants. The Grand bazar and not to forget the cruise on the sea." I glanced at Fadil to confirm if I have said it all.

"And remember Hagia Sofia," he cough-laughed.

I lowered my eyes and my cheeks flamed. How could I not remember Hagia Sofia, how Fadil manipulated me to go behind the trees and ...

"What about Hagia Sofia?" Dad scowled.

"It ... it..." I stammered.

"What Ramlah means is that it was a wonderful museum and she really enjoyed it." Fadil turned to me and smirked, "Didn't you enjoy yourself Ramlah?"

I wasn't able to meet his gaze. My face heated up and I muttered, "Yes very."

Fadil laughed loudly. Mom and Dad glanced at each other in confusion. And I hurriedly picked up Ejaz to cover my reddening face with the baby.

****

"Mama said Baba will most probably come home on Wednesday. If it's ok with you, I will go during the day and you can come there after work?" I asked taking off my kurta.