Just Do This For Me (Avengers x reader): Civil War References

Warnings: Angst.  Civil War related angst.  Yes, again.

Choose a side.

I thought I was your friend.

If you're not with me, you're against me.

I thought we were more than this.

Choose a side, (Y/N).

The sound of your heart beat in your ears was all that you could hear. Your eyes were shut tight, fearing the moment that was about to happen; the moment that would change everything forever. Maybe if you kept them shut and refused to look, the moment would just fade away. Maybe the moment wouldn't happen. It was a ploy that you had used in childhood, and it never worked; but what would it hurt to try one more time?

"Captain, you seem a little defensive."

Well, that wasn't working. You continued to resist opening your eyes, not wanting to see the faces that were looking back at you and your team. To see your friends, your family, looking at you with anger and betrayal would break you, and you knew that it was the only thing there for you to see.

"Well it's been a long day."

It was time to give in and make your stand; this was in motion now, hearing the two men getting closer to each other, hearing Tony's repulsors charging, hearing Bucky arm his weapon. There was nothing that you could do to stop it. You took a deep and shaky breath, feeling the humidity and dampness of the small hallway filling your lungs with a chill that stung through your chest. Letting it out slowly, trying to relax your rigid muscles, you reluctantly opened your eyes. You opened your eyes just as Steve's shield hit Tony square in the chest, knocking him back from his footing and inciting his anger to give chase. Steve and Bucky retreated quickly to get a better vantage point for the fight and Tony followed immediately with Rhodey in tow.

And as ordered, you followed them into battle.

~~~

"We're still friends, right?"

Clint pushed his bow down against Natasha as she struggled to stand, pinned flat on her back on the hard and unforgiving ground. Despite the madness of the fight, she still managed a small smirk for her friend in an effort to keep any part of him with her.

"Depends on how hard you hit me," he replied, stumbling back slightly as her foot connected with his thigh to give her just enough time to escape his hold.

"Guys?", Scott broke in over the comms. "Has anyone seen (Y/N)?"

"How did you get on this channel, Lang?" Rhodey asked, his voice sounding strained as if in the middle of his own fight.

"The kinda purple guy and I came to a quick truce when we realized that maybe something bigger is happening that needs our attention," he scoffed. "Imagine that. A compromise."

"My name is Vision."

"Sure," Scott said with a nod. "let's go with that." He reached out and gave Vision a small slap on the arm as he spun slowly in place trying to look anywhere that you might be. "Hey, where did Cap and The Suit end up?"

The fighting faded away until it stopped, the team now standing in place to find their leaders and hopefully figure out where you had gone to. It was an uneasy silence amongst them, but a common goal had at least stopped the violence, and it appeared to be more than welcomed. Clint jumped at the sound of a loud explosion only a short distance away, just on the other side of the airport. "Well, that was easy," he huffed, taking off in a sprint towards the source.

When the group pushed through the debris that was scattered everywhere, waving away the heavy dust that filled the air and obscured their vision, they found you with Steve, Tony and Bucky as they expected. What they didn't expect was the sight playing out in front of them. Natasha let out an audible gasp and slapped her hand over her mouth, grabbing Clint's shoulder for support. Wanda simply turned and walked away, unable to allow herself to feel a situation like this again, too terrified to watch. The others simply stood in silence and hoped desperately that what they were seeing wasn't going to meet the end they knew was inevitable.

"(Y/N)," Steve whispered to you, cradling you in his arms with Tony at your side, having now jumped out of his suit, "help is on the way, okay? Just stay with me. Eyes on me."

It was all you could do to nod silently, the pain in your chest sending shock waves through your body and completely debilitating you. With every breath that Steve took, your body moved only millimeters with the rise and fall of his chest as he held you, but it felt as if he were slowly tearing your chest apart. The hit from Tony had been stronger than you anticipated, but you knew this was the risk you were taking when you pushed Steve out of the way. He wasn't watching Tony, and you weren't about to watch the loss of him.

"Honey, it's gonna be okay," Tony said, trying to be reassuring though his voice was cracking and full of guilt. "It will." Steve's arm shifted and jostled you, creating a cry from your throat that broke Tony's resolve to keep it together. "It will," he whispered again, now trying to reassure himself even more than you.

"(Y/N), why?" Steve asked, his face close to yours, pushing the stray strands of hair that were moist with sweat and tears from your face. "Can you tell me?"

With another nod, you pushed the words out, grimacing at the pain from even the small motions in your throat that they created. "Only you...can fix this." The sounds of sirens were growing closer, but your breathing was only growing more ragged as the pain grew and you couldn't take a deep breath. "Just do this...for me...Steve."

You felt a few drops fall on your cheeks, knowing that they had to be tears from your Captain. Were they from your actions that were now bringing your loss? Were they from regret of what brought your family to this? It didn't matter anymore. In a moment, nothing would matter again; in a moment, the war would be over.

"Fix this...for me."