Chapter 15

Jay barked out a loud laugh throwing his head back, attracting the attention of everyone around us. I attempted to shush him, but it only had him laughing louder and I turned red when I saw everyone staring at the two of us.

Jay had stormed into my house earlier today yelling about how we didn't go out enough. He had dragged me to the mall, treating me like guinea pig Barbie with his questionable fashion taste. Only after a lot of complaining on my part had he driven us to a cute little Italian restaurant. We were merely talking, and I'm not even sure what I said but before I knew it he was laughing like a maniac, and now he was starting to turn slightly purple. My eyes widened in fear, he was going to pass out but my expression only made him laugh harder. He was near rocking back and forth tears coming out of his crinkled eyes.

I kicked him under the table hoping the pain would knock him out of his rambunctious laughter, and it worked but now I was the victim of his glare. He viciously stabbed into a meatball with excessive force, pouting to himself angrily muttering about me being no fun.

I smiled at him apologetically and he looked up, before shaking his head at me before going back to his food. Stabbing into the meatball once again, but this time it broke into half and splattered all over his light blue shirt.

I burst into fits of giggles pressing my fist into my mouth, not caring what I looked like simply trying not to let out any sound. I was shaking with laughter, and Jay joined in, reaching over to pull my fist away from my mouth. My loud giggles disrupted the otherwise silent restaurant and everyone around us turned to look at us horrified but that only made us laugh louder.

I didn't know how long we had been laughing but the sound of my name had me frozen in place. My amusement gone as fast as it had come, I stared wide eyed at Jay internally praying I had misheard, he wasn't here he couldn't be. Jay looked at me confused, raising his eyebrows in question. I squeezed my eyes shut hoping I was just hallucinating but the voice rang out again, and I knew I had heard right.

"Raine?" Rang out the unmistakable deep voice of Xavier Night. I looked up slowly to see him standing right near our table. His expression colder than usual as he looked from me to Jay.

"Who's this?" Mr.Night asked.

"T-this is my friend, Jay." I said quietly, his cold glare making me go back to the pathetic stuttering.

"H-hi." Jay said awkwardly after a long moment of being glared at by Mr.Night.

"What were you guys doing here?" Mr.Night asked making me frown, but I chose not to make a scene, and the factor of wanting to live encouraged me to hold back any sassy retorts.

"Just having dinner." I said quietly my face completely blank now, irritation from his questions had taken over the fear momentarily. His hard steel eyes turning back to me, and for a reason unknown to me, his expression softened slightly. Going from anger to a sad longing, but it still was intense enough to make the irritation disappear leaving a slight fear.

"Well then you wouldn't mind if we join you guys now would you?" And my eyes widened as I realized what he was suggesting, and his words actually registered as I looked behind him to see the man who had been the guest speaker. He shot me a polite smile, and I returned a feeble one.

Mr.Night grabbed a chair putting it splat in between Jay and I, even blocking my view of Jay due to his large size. While the other man had more decency and he sat at one corner of the table, attempting to hide a smile.

Jay awkwardly shuffled around in his seat, and I looked down at my food perplexed. Why was Mr.Night sitting with us, didn't he have anything better to do?

Mr.Night and his guest who's name he had politely told us was James, had ordered. Unfortunately now we were just sitting in silence, me and Jay not knowing if we should eat our food or wait, so we simply tried to look preoccupied. I was slowly sipping on my water I had drank nearly half of the large glass and would soon need a refill.