Task Two: Conmaicne Rein

When the Tuatha Dé Danann came to invade Ireland, they arrived in the height of their glory. Their ships were as thunderclouds as they landed upon the mountains of Conmaicne Rein, claiming the land for their own. They declared their sovereignty over the island by virtue of their might and skill, and dubbed it Ériu in the old tongue. 

Captain's Log. Date: 12.18.20.10.2150

I've seen our new home, and it is truly beautiful.

Our voyage ended yesterday- we exited that... I don't have the words to describe where we were for the majority of our voyage across the galaxy. Regardless, we quickly entered orbit around Danu, and Thalita was able to dispatch her probes immediately. She's confirmed that the air is safe to breathe, that water is plentiful on the surface. Her preliminary reports also indicated the odd growths on the surface of the planet were indeed carbon-based life. She was ecstatic at the chance to begin her analyses in earnest- I don't think I've ever seen her that excited.

Hai, of course, ended up arguing with her schedule for experimentation. I can understand his point; Thalita's drive for knowledge might not be taking her in the safest direction. Nonetheless, they fought again despite my best efforts to calm things down. I have no idea how they'll get along once they're off the Ark and outside my authority. 

On to more pleasant thoughts, perhaps.

In 18 hours, the landing crafts will detach from the Ark proper to descend to Danu's surface. The main section of the Ark will remain in orbit: it can function as a self-repairing satellite that will allow us to make limited contact with Earth. Our quantum splitter should be fully functional for communication, but transfer of information outside of text and numbers will be time-consuming, as well as depriving the colony of valuable bandwidth. According to our software expert, it will be child's play to create a planet-wide computer network, so we won't have to abandon all the comforts of home. The tricky part will be landing the crafts safely- our pilots have recommended an area of ocean close to one of the four continents. We've already sent our supplies down to that location- unfortunately, people tend to be less durable than ferroadamantine beams.

Hmmph. I'm trying to outline the dangers in the venture tomorrow, but for some reason I can't wipe this foolish grin off my face. It's ridiculous and extraordinarily unseemly.

Sadly, I can't help but smile to think that tomorrow I will be setting foot on humanity's first interstellar colony.

Eat your heart out, Neil Armstrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requirements

-After spending two days in orbit around Danu, the colonists will enter a number of landing craft to descend to the planet's surface and land in the ocean. The craft can double as a boat, and will propel you to the site of the colony.

-Your entry must take place between these two dates: the beginning of the two day orbit and the end of the first day on Danu. This is another loose task, so be creative! You might not get the same privilege in the future.

Kills: Three ballot kills this task. Eight tributes will be going up for votes. Six will be eliminated.

Due Date: Tuesday, March 8 at 10 PM EST