Chapter 9: Changes

Chapter 9: Changes

Natalie

I walked into the small café with Amir in tow. Finding a secluded seat in the corner of the restaurant, I took a seat and sat Amir down in my lap. I had been watching him for about two weeks, and I was honestly enjoying having him around. As much as I hated to admit, Ivy had done a great job with him. He was such a happy baby and he rarely cried.

"Are you ready to order ma'am?" A waiter asked as he approached our table. I gave him a small nod before flipping the menu open to the meal I wanted to order.

"I'll just have the Cuban sandwich," I said pointing to the menu item. "I'd like fries as the side and a Dr. Pepper to drink. Also can I have an Apple Juice for the little guy?"

He scribbled in his pad as he nodded his head. "Of course, I'll have this coming right up." He scurried away leaving Amir and I alone once again.

Amir sat up in my lap and began clapping his hands.

"What are you so happy about?" I laughed as I grabbed his hands and clapped along with him. His smile was so innocent it reminded me of a happier time in my life. What I wouldn't give to feel such bliss once again.

Feeling someone staring at me I glanced around the restaurant. Not noticing anything out of the ordinary, I turned my attention back to Amir. Soon our food was brought out and I began to eat while Mir sipped on his apple juice.

"Excuse me," a voice from behind me whispered. I turned around to make eye contact with an older woman who looked to be in her mid to late 40's. She was a beautiful woman that resembled Lisa Raye.

"Uh, can I help you?" I asked.

She slightly shook her head. "I'm sorry to interrupt, but I just couldn't help myself. Your son is so cute. He reminds me of my little boy when he was that age." She said as a look of regret washed over her face.

"I'm sorry to hear that, but he's not my son. He's actually my nephew." I corrected her.

"Oh, I apologize I just assumed." She quickly covered her mouth. I shook my head and waved her off to assure her it was okay.

"My little Kel had the smallest eyes just like him. Had a head full of hair just like your little nephew as well." She got this distant look in her eyes and I just knew she was about to cry. "I haven't seen him in God knows how long. I just miss him so much."

I didn't want to be rude but I was growing uncomfortable. I really didn't know this woman and here she was spilling her regrets.

I opened my mouth to say something, but she cut me off.

"I'm sorry. Forgive me for getting so emotional. You all have a great day." She whispered before composing herself and walking away.

That was...awkward.

Ivy

Today was the day I decided to stop wallowing in my despair. I was going to actually get out of the house and do something productive toward my business. After calling Aria to meet me at the building for the store, I got dressed, ate breakfast, and headed out to meet her.

I stared at the store in front of me and slightly smiled at the sign. Ari's Poison. After much debate I'm glad we decided on this name. It was unique, and it fit the character of the store very well. I smiled to myself as I thought about how proud Daddy would be of me.

"So are you going to stare at the doors all day, or are we going to actually go inside?" Aria asked, coming up beside me and looping her arm through mine.