II. Chapter 12 | Part 2 - Stone

Stone didn't know why this holding of hands and touching foreheads was so effective. Was it a mate thing or something Adelaide had discovered with him? Nevertheless, it always worked to calm him and he felt ready to tell her Adelaide's name when she asked. It didn't hurt as much and he knew it was because of the connection to Aubree's soothing touch.

"Are you okay?" She looked up at him with concern.

He smiled down at her and pressed his lips to both of her hands, one at a time. "Yes. Thank you. Your soul always has been a kind and tender one, Röslein. Always patient with me when I am undeserving of it."

They strolled along in silence as they took in the rest of the garden before making their way to the circular fountain at the head

They strolled along in silence as they took in the rest of the garden before making their way to the circular fountain at the head. In the center of the fountain was a pillar a few feet tall with a bowl on top and a small fountain pouring water into that. Around the base of the pillar were carved turtles from stone shooting water out of their mouths into the large round base. Sunlight shimmered from the gentle spray at the top of the fountain and rippled in the base.

Stone dipped his fingers into the pool of water, ignoring the overwhelming smell of chlorine

"Are you enjoying yourself?" he asked, mostly to fill the silence. He knew how she was feeling through the touch of her hand in his.

She had been enjoying the beauty of the garden, but her mind had been swirling with thoughts over what he had told her. They weren't negative thoughts and that was encouraging.

"Yeah." She followed his lead and dipped her fingers into the water as well. The light bouncing off the surface reflected in her eyes in a hypnotic dance.

He smirked to himself and flicked his wrist, sending a small trail of water to splash at her. "Then, cheer up."

A little shriek met his ears as she jerked away from him and held her hands up as a shield. He couldn't help but chuckle as she lowered her hands and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Are you serious?"

His grin widened. "Aren't I always?"

Her calculating eyes studied him as she set her jaw, stuck her hand in the water, and launched a bigger splash his way.