Chapter 9- Phil's POV

When I got home, I went and laid on my bed and closed my eyes. I was playing back Dan's adorable laugh in my head. His light brown eyes that, for the first time in a long time, have a light in them. His fringed hair, all of the things we have in common. My thoughts were interrupted by mum knocking on my door. "Philly? Can I come in?" 

"Yeah." I responded.

My mum came and sat on my bed next to me; my eyes were still closed so I felt the bed move as she sat down. "How was it?" 

I smiled. "I had a wonderful time."

"That's good to hear." She said. "What are you thinking about."

Dan's laugh, I thought. "Nothing." I said.

"Yes, Philly, I'm sure it's nothing at all. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're in love."

My eyes popped open. "Mum, I am not in love. We're just friends."

"You know your father and I are very supportive of you being gay."

"Mum!"

"We'd be perfectly fine with you having a boyfriend..."

"MUM!" I sat up. "We're not together! I'm going to bed. Love you, Mum."

My mum hugged me. "Yes, but not for long. Goodnight, love." She got up and closed the door softly behind her.

The next day at school, I felt like I was floating. After our first class of the day, Dan walked past my locker as usual. "Hey, Phil!" He said happily. "Hey, Dan!" I responded, smiling. I saw Dan's friend, Kai, shoulder Dan.

"Why are you being nice to gaylester?" I heard Kai ask. "He's not turning you gay or anything, is he?"

"He's helping me get my grades up, the least I can do is be polite." I couldn't hear what Kai said.

It was half-way through my next class that I realized something. Dan hadn't denied being gay. He didn't immediately say he wasn't. My day automatically got 110% better. During physics, we were assigned a project and we had to have a partner. All the girls were calling out to Dan, begging him to be their partner. Usually Dan accepted, but not today. He gave a cheeky wink, saying, "Sorry, girls. Not today." Then he walked over to me. I felt my heart beat harder in my chest. 

"Wanna be my partner?" Dan asked. 

I nodded. "Well, yeah. I mean, we spend so much time doing school work together anyways. It wouldn't make sense otherwise." We immediately got to work on the project, getting a good bit done in the 45 minutes we had left of class.

We had our tutoring session, and I went home. I walked into the kitchen and saw my mum cooking dinner. "That smells incredible!" I said as I walked over to sample one of the potato wedges my mum was cooking.

"Philip!" my mum said when she saw me and jokingly swatted my hand away. "Mum," I said. "I think you were right."

"About what, Phil?"

"What you said last night."

"Now, Phil, remind me what I said last night." I knew she was just trying to have an I-told-you-so moment.

"That I'm in love."