Daddy Didn't Win (Rogers/Stark x reader)

Based on the gifset above (not my edit):  http://saveusalltellmelifeisbeautiful

Based on the gifset above (not my edit):  http://saveusalltellmelifeisbeautiful.tumblr.com/post/27225372426/homeboy-was-literally-busting-out-of-that-shirt

~~~~~

"Did you have any drinking games back in the forties? Being in the army, I'm sure you had a few, right?"

"Um, no, not really," Steve sighed. "We just drank, ya know? Why make a game out of it? When the day's over and all you want is a cold beer, there's no time for that."

"Well, Cap, times are about to change," Jimmy chuckled, winking towards the crowd and the camera. "I hear you're a competitive kind of guy. How about a little beer pong?"

For anyone else who didn't know Steve as well as you, the change in his expression would have been missed. He hated doing interviews and being in the public eye this much, but Fury insisted that the team start making the talk show rounds to boost their image. You were standing behind the camera and watching it unfold with Tony, squeezing his arm to try to keep his laughter quiet.

"This. Is. Spectacular."

"Shhh," you warned, pointing towards the stage, "he's nervous. Look at him."

"Okay," Steve said, his voice a little shaky but with a small laugh to it, "you're on."

The cameras cut away for a quick commercial break, and Jimmy led Steve backstage and out of your sight. The breaks were normally only a few minutes long, but at fifteen minutes, one of Jimmy's assistants appeared and announced that it would be a little longer before the programming resumed.

"Now I'm nervous. What do you think they're doing?"

"Fallon probably has to teach the old man how to play," Tony scoffed. "I'm sure they didn't have beer pong back in...the forties..." his voiced faded and he began to furiously slap at your arm, directing you to look at the center of the curtains. "Son of a bitch..."

"And we're back!" Jimmy announced, his face a little flushed and a wide grin across his face. "I think we've got Cap all up to speed and warmed up, so let's do this!" He clapped his hands a few times, and each man took position at either end of the table, rows of red cups and ping pong balls ready and waiting.

Steve looked far more animated than when he had left the stage, stretching his arms and bending his knees as if he were trying to be more limber for the competition. He turned to look for you, pointing excitedly as he made eye contact. "There's my girl! Watch this, sweetheart! Daddy's gonna win!"

"This is the best day of my whole life," Tony practically squealed, shaking your arm with so much force you could barely stand, and laughing so loudly that the audience fed off of his energy and joined in. Tears were streaming down his face, but yours was a complete contrast, your hand over your mouth and an expression filled with shock and the fear of how Steve would feel once he sobered up.

"I thought he couldn't get drunk?"

"Oh, right," Tony panted, trying to catch his breath, "hold this for me. Thor can't know I took it." He handed you the small flask of Asgardian mead, and you realized that he had been behind this whole thing. Of course he had.

"You're evil, Stark. Pure evil."

"Alright, the first to land two wins," Jimmy explained with a smirk, grabbing the first ball from the bin.

"Yeah, I know how it works," Steve replied casually, smiling when the crowd cheered him on. This side of Steve was new to you, and as much as you were enjoying it, you worried about how this would look and how he would feel later if he didn't win after being so arrogant about it.

"Me too, man, cuz I beat Betty White at this," Jimmy said in a serious tone, bringing the audience to laughter again. Steve was bobbing back and forth behind his row of cups, trying to distract the host, and when he took his shot, Jimmy missed completely.

"Embarrassing, man. Embarrassing. It's your show." Each man took two more throws, both of them missing terribly. "Alright, come on Rogers," Steve said to himself, throwing another and missing with Jimmy quickly sinking the next shot. The crowd cheered as the Captain quickly threw back the beer and waved them off as they taunted him. "Awww, come on! Don't get too excited, there's a long game to go."

Three more throws each and they were both getting frustrated. "Am I getting heckled?" Steve pointed to you, shaking his head with a wide grin as the crowd instead began to cheer him on. Jimmy turned and waved his hands, trying to silence the group.

"Hey, he has muscles! I have nothing, you guys! I have nothing!"

Two more throws and Steve finally sank one into a cup. Three more and the game was over, with Jimmy ending as the victor, hurrying to the other end of the table to watch Steve take down the game losing beer. His foot stumbled just a bit as he leaned a hand on the table, casually crossing his feet as he drank. "Sorry, baby!" he called to you, taking a step back and playfully throwing the last ball in his hand, sinking it easily and totally by accident.

"Oh! There it is! What the hell was that?" he laughed, waving his arms in the air playfully as Jimmy signed out for another break and Steve began to say his goodbyes.

"Oh, Tony, Fury's gonna be pissed," you sighed and turned to him, grabbing his arm to pull him closer so you could whisper in his ear. "Daddy didn't win."