Prologue

What is going on?

That would be the million-dollar question running through my mind. I was called into one of the conference rooms immediately, no details - nothing. Things around the office have been hectic the past few weeks, causing me to start early in the morning and leaving late at night. I couldn't afford to lose any more time to deal with whatever was going on.

Alison, my personal assistant, and I walked into the room only to be greeted by my parents and grandfather. The look on my mom's face alarmed me. Her big hazel eyes were bloodshot and moist as if she had been crying minutes before. I then looked over to my grandfather, who gave me a warm but apologetic smile before I turned my gaze to my father, his expression cold and hard as always.

"Can someone please tell me what is going on? Things have been hectic, and I have a business to run. So if this family gathering could wait till Saturday night dinner, that would be great," I said, my voice dripping with professionalism.

Although my family is important to me, running the company was my biggest reason to get up every day. Harrington Inc used to be one of the top hotel chains in the world, but business, unfortunately, was slow the past few months.

"Honey, please sit down." My mother had me worried because of her trembling voice and watery eyes. Being twenty-six years old has never stopped me from doing what my mother told me to do, so I sat down next to her. She immediately took my hand in hers and gave it a little squeeze.

Even though the conference room was rather spacious with floor to ceiling windows, I suddenly felt suffocated. I didn't like the tension hovering around the room. Briefly, I looked over to my PA. She too looked like she was confused about why I was there.

My father cleared his throat before he stood up and started pacing the room. "Lucienne, as you already know, the business had slowed down the past couple of weeks. Now I know you work harder than anybody else, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. The members of the senior board and I have decided you need to get married or you will lose your position here in the company."

I sat there completely stunned. I had to get married? As in, some kind of arrangement? What the heck happened to be careful with men and don't get myself into something I'm not ready for?

My grandfather caught me in my state of complete and utter confusion. "Lucy, sweetie, the world of business is hard. Companies are dropping out of contracts because Harrington Inc is now in the hands of a single woman. We know you're capable of running this business, but we can't afford to lose contracts and projects because of your relationship status."

It took some time for my brain to process what was going on before I finally caught on. "You're telling me we're losing business deals because I am a strong, hard-working and independent woman? Is this some kind of sick joke?!"

By now I was out off my chair, pacing back and forth. I couldn't believe this. I had to settle for Mr Okay or Mr Good Enough because it would gain the corporation new contracts and projects? What happened to them encouraging me to wait for Mr Right?

"I seriously can't believe you're asking this from me. You seriously ask me to give up the only thing I ever had full control over? I sacrificed everything to become the businesswoman I am today, to be the heir you wanted for the company after... you know what happened!" I spat at my father. He could not be serious. He could not be in control of my love life in addition to everything else.

Before anyone could say anything else I turned on my heel and ran from the conference room. Away from my crazy family and into the safe environment of my office.

-