Coffee's {6}

A two hour bus drive later the familiar silver words McKinley Enterprises greeted me in the face. Feeling a lot more confident I copied the strut that the ladies entering the building all seem to have.

Strutting my way to the receptionist, I saw Sophie and when I checked the time I realized it was 8:30 and I was early.

Since it seemed pretty empty I figured Sophie could spare some minutes to talk considering she has been working here for three years.

"Hey Sophie" I greeted.

"Omg Delilah. Hi how are you? I had a feeling you got the job. We are coworkers now" How can this girl be so energetic this early in the morning. But judging by the three cups of empty coffee on her desk I had a feeling why.

Before I could even respond she attacked me with more questions, "I'm so relieved I can finally be myself. Mr. McKinley told me that I had to be tough on all you girls yesterday. You know I barely recognized you when you walked in. You look beautiful. I love your hair" she gushed

Choosing to not tell her that I'm on training I said, "Umm...Yes I got the job. And thank you. Sophie do you have a little time for advice?"

"Yes of course. What's the problem?" She questioned

"Do you have any tips on how to deal Mr McKinley?"

"I had a feeling you would ask that. My first tip is to be on time. If he asks you to be somewhere in an hour make sure you are there in 30 minutes. Always try at any chance you can to impress him. Mr McKinley rarely acknowledges when you do good things. It's when you go out of your way to do something he's impressed. Another tip is that as his personal assistant you are going to be in charge of his contacts, appointments and his schedule. So inform yourself about it all. With Mr. McKinley it's better to know too much information than to know too little. If you do those things I'm pretty sure you can handle this job"

"Thank you Sophie. Alright I'm gonna head up now."

"Good luck Delilah"

With my head swimming in information I took the elevator to the 21st floor. I walked down the hall and when I approached the big doors I hesitated.

I pulled down my shirt to make make sure make sure it covered my butt, I pushed my hair to the front of my head and pushed open the door. When I stepped through I was surprised to find the room empty.

I'm I not supposed to be here? If I wasn't Sophie would tell me. Is he late?

I expected to find him sitting in that big chair with a pen in his hands and his eyes intently focused on his paper or tablet.

Where is he? I resisted the urge to organize his papers since they were scattered all over his desk. Instead I sat down on one of the chairs and waited for him to come.

Taking out my phone from my bag I saw the blue digits and reading them it showed that it was 8:59. As soon as it turned 9:00 the door burst open and Mr. McKinley walked through.

How did he get here exactly on time. Was he waiting till it was 9:00 exactly to come in. The image of Mr. McKinley hovering over the door till the clock striked 9am caused a small grin to appear on my face.

The grin soon disappeared when I made eye contact with Mr. McKinley. He shook his head and walked to his seat to sit down.

"Good Morning sir" I told him ignoring the disapproving look on his face.

"Where is my coffee? According to Sophie you got to this building at exactly 8:30, therefore you had thirty minutes to get me some coffee. But you don't and instead you chit chat and then I come in here to find you sitting down twiddling your thumbs. As my personal assistant I expect you to automatically know to get these things and not sit down. I don't appreciate laziness. If you wanted to do nothing then you should have stayed home and watched paint dry!" He yelled.

His yelling infuriated me but instead of yelling back at him and getting fired I shut my mouth and decided my tactic with Mr McKinley would be to kill him with kindness.

"I'm sorry sir. It won't happen again. How do you like your coffee?" I gently responded back.

Glaring at me he ignored my question. "Where's your notebook and pen?"

"What notebook sir?"

"Don't answer my question with a question. You need a notebook to write all my tasks down."

"I'm sorry sir I didn't know I will get one today.

"You can't do anything right. Take one of mine. Its in the drawer of the table facing the left couch."

Quickly memorizing his directions I got up and got the notebook. Walking back to the chairs I looked up to notice Mr McKinley dark eyes staring at my every move as I made my way back to my seat.

Mr McKinley handed me a pen and I silently thanked him for not commenting on my lack of supplies again. He is right I should have came prepared.

Without waiting for a second Mr McKinley jumped right into giving me tasks, "I need you to go and fax documents A-D in the filing cabinet to contact name James Pottman. Then I need you to go get my mail from downstairs bring me the important ones and discard any unimportant ones."

I looked up to see Mr McKinley still looking at me and I shifted in my seat uncomfortable with the attention that he was suddenly giving me.

"Will that be all Mr. McKinley?"

"Yes, Ms Suren that will be all" If I was not mistaken I think I detected a hint of teasing in his voice.

What the hell? Was my boss bipolar?