Girlfriend?

I went home after that in the shittiest mood possible. My mother had questioned what had happened and I had forced a smile before saying I was tired. She had believed this and I made my way back upstairs.

I lay on my bed, thinking. About Aaron. I just couldn't stop thinking about him. Questions arose in my head. Why did he hate being called a manwhore so much? Why did he act the way he did? This is a side to him I've never seen. Then again, I didn't know him that much. He made that pretty clear. His words rang in my head.

'Don't get the idea that you know me because you don't.'

I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts. I went to the closet and pulled out some comfortable clothes to wear at home.

Removing the skinny jeans and red blouse, I changed into black joggers and a hoodie. I looked at the mirror and opened my long straight hair that was in a ponytail and let it cascade down my shoulders. I looked in the mirror at my reflection. My brown hair reached to my petite waist. I was skinny, with little to no curves, but I didn't quite mind it. Each body was, indeed, built differently. I looked back to my heart-shaped face, grimacing at how pale I was. Brown doe eyes stared back at me; so large on my face. What bothered me was that my looks were far too plain: something that blended in with the surroundings and nothing to notice. For a second, I felt a rush of distaste run through my mouth as I took the sight, but it immediately was forgotten when I thought about his words again.

'Don't get the idea you know me because you don't.'

That hurt me. I don't know why it did. I knew we were strangers, but something about the way he emphasised that fact made me want to crawl up in a corner. His statement sounded almost accusatory, filled with unrequited anger and hatred.

Yet, all the anger didn't seem to be directed towards me.

I shook my head and made my way to the bed, deciding to have a little bit of a nap. Yet, try as I might, the next few hours where a restless sleep. I tossed and turned before letting out a huff of frustration and made my way into the bathroom, my head groggy from the semi-sleeping state.

Removing my clothes, I stood under the lukewarm water of the shower, feeling relief as it brushed away the tension and aches at my muscles. I lathered the shampoo and conditioner into my hear, washing it off as I massaged my scalp. My head had been tense from thinking too much and I revelled in the momentary comfort.

Wrapping a towel around myself, I walked freely back to my room. It was just my mother and I at home, considering my dad was away constantly on business trips. My mother used to also work for the same company, but things have changed since then. A lot of things.

I shut the door behind me before putting my undergarments on and wrapping the towel around me yet again and grabbing my phone. I always did this after a shower and would stay in my towel for hours.

I had planned to scroll through Reddit, but the notification on my screen made me halt. I had never seen it before and when I clicked on it, the screen lit up with '1 voicemail in inbox.'.

This made my confusion grow as I had never had such a notification. Tepidly, I clicked on it, letting out a small startled noise when a male voice rung across the room. It was one that I quickly realised was Aaron.

"I tried calling, but it went straight to voicemail..." He began and I looked to the phone with folded arms as he spoke. It was odd to hear his voice through the phone as I had never done so. He must have called me whilst I was showering. I listened intently, hearing a slight hesitation on his bit which made me think that the voicemail was finished, but his voice filled the room not a moment after.