Chapter 16

"Pumpkin!"

         "Hi, Dad," I murmured, trying not to sound like shit.

         "What's wrong, Pumpkin? You sound well, not you." My shoulders slumped when he pointed that out. I guess it didn't work. Leave it to Dad to always notice the small details in the shift of my tone. He was always good at reading people like that.

         "It's um..." I gulped and gazed down at my lap. "It's um... the chipmunk boy," I whispered, hoping somehow he didn't catch the last part.

          "Honey, I thought you gave up on him after you started—"

          "—Dad, don't," I seethed through clenched teeth. I could already feel the rage boiling inside of me just thinking about it.

          "Sorry, honey, I shouldn't have brought that up..." His voice wavered, sounding apologetic. I let out a deep breath, knowing he didn't mean to. He knew it was a taboo subject to bring up. When I didn't say anything, he laughed, forcing me to smile as well. Ever since I was young, that was his subtle way of trying to ease the tension in the air. "Anyways...why are you even thinking about that kid again? It's been years since you mentioned him."

           "I don't know." But I do know. "I sound pathetic thinking about him again, don't I?" I thought I had given up on him. I thought I was over him. After years of searching and waiting for him, I finally admitted defeat. It didn't matter if I wanted to find him—if he didn't want to be found, there was nothing I could do. And yet, here he is, the same awkward guy that held my interest for years as a child. If it wasn't for it, I wouldn't have forgotten. I wouldn't have given up so easily.

           "You're not pathetic, Pumpkin," he said, his voice soft. "I know you still want to find him, but without a name it's a bit difficult... Plus, a lot can change in thirteen years. He may not be the same kid anymore."

            I clamped my lips shut. I wanted to tell him. I really did. But I couldn't tell him Aaiden was the kid in the hospital. If I did, I knew for a fact the idea of us just being together will drive my mom even further away from us. Knowing my dad, he wouldn't keep that a secret from her.

           I sighed, just thinking about it.

           "Cheer up, Pumpkin." I frowned, knowing he was smiling for my sake, and yet here I am, lying to him. God. I sucked. "If it's meant to be, he'll find you."

           "Thanks, Dad."

          "Of course," he said with a throaty chuckle. His laughter stopped when another voice was heard in the background. He mumbled a quiet, "thanks", before I heard him take a large gulp of something. If I had to guess it was his daily cup of coffee in the afternoon. "So, any chance you're coming home this weekend?" he asked a moment later. "I miss you."

            "I can't. Alpha Sigma Phi is hosting a carnival this weekend, and I um...promise Scarlett, I would help out." I closed my eyes, cringing. Yeah. I was definitely a shitty daughter.

            "Help out? Isn't that an all boys fraternity though?"

            "Yeah, but she's helping Aaiden."

            "Oh." I heard another slurp from his end. "I get it now. She won the auction after all, didn't she?"

            "Well, it is Scarlett after all." There was no way in hell I was telling him she won under my name. Even if I felt like shit for lying to my dad, I couldn't. If he knew, he would do anything in his power to get the Airhearts to partner up with Erhardt Tech. Something, I seriously did not want.