Lunch Break {8}

Mr McKinley cold eyes glared at me, "Ms Suren I assumed by now you would know how impatient I am. You have been gone for almost an hour. I knew I was wrong to hire you"

"It was my fault I broke the copy machine. So it took a while to fix. No need to fire anyone" Connor jumped in with a lie to defend me.

"Connor I don't want to see you fooling around like that again. You are my best worker here and it needs to stay that way. "

Brushing past Mr McKinley, Connor walked into the office and he placed the files on the floor before coming back to take some files from me. When he took the files from me Connor winked at me which caused me to to smile and look down.

My actions were not missed by Mr McKinley."Are you done wasting my time with your desperate flirting? If you would rather hang out with your boyfriend then leave but if you want to keep your job then I suggest you stop the giggling and complete what I told you." Mr McKinley snarled.

Not bothering with a 'yes sir' I put my head down and went back to the filing cabinets to put the files back into its cabinet.

This tedious job didn't keep my mind distracted as it flooded with questions. A few minutes later, I saw the retreating back of Connor going through the brass doors.

"I don't tolerate flirting Ms Suren."

"I wasn't flirting Mr. McKinley."

Mr McKinley glared at me as if expecting me to back down. But for once since working for him I stood my ground and didn't look down.

Looking away, Mr McKinley said, "It's already noon so just go on your lunch break."

"Okay sir"

During my elevator ride down I realized that I didn't have any money nor did I know how long this lunch break was. I thought I only worked for half the day? In Andys we didn't have lunch breaks we just had time in between shifts and that time was always spent in the kitchen making jokes.

I highly doubted that the people in this building cracked jokes. When I arrived at the first floor I walked to the bathroom since I had nowhere else to go. I didn't pack enough money for an unexpected lunch break.

Maybe I should just go outside to wait and then come back. But then the weather outside prevented me from stepping out.

After checking my hair in the mirror I walked out with my decision to sit in one of the chairs in the lobby.

Sitting in the chairs, I wasn't surprised to find out that the seats were made from plush and not hard plastic.

I picked up one of the magazine and started reading how celebrities who just had a baby were called fat. Seemingly absorbed in my magazine I didn't notice how the elevator stopped and the very person I didn't want to see stepped out. Maybe if I wasn't reading the magazine I would have had time to slip into the bathroom or at least get up.

But, as soon as I looked up the dark brown eyes locked with mine. Maintaining eye contact with me Mr McKinley walked over.

"Ms Suren did you already have your lunch break?"

"No sir"

"I thought I told you to go on lunch break."

I knew I should have went to the bathroom. "I'm not hungry sir."

"What did you have for breakfast?" He questioned

"I had food sir. If you'll excuse me I have to go." I got up and and tried walking away. Mr McKinley's hand shot out and stopped me.

"I thought I told you that I didn't appreciate sarcastic answers. Now what did you eat for breakfast. I hate dishonesty Ms Suren."

Sighing, "I had some tea"

"And what else?"

"I only had tea. How does my breakfast habits affect you sir?"

"The last thing I need is for you to pass out because you are not eating properly."

"Sir, I am perfectly capable of eating on my own"

"Come to lunch with me." Mr McKinley asked. It wasn't even a question he just stated it as if he expected me to just to just go along with anything he said. Staring at me intensely, he waited for my answer.

"I don't want to." If I went to lunch then I would have to pay for food. I didn't bring enough money for food and the bus. Which would mean that I had to walk home.

"Ms Suren I think you have mistaken what I said as a question which would mean you have an option. You don't. I want to go to lunch with you so grab you bag and let's go."