Chapter 40

"Can you explain to me what we're gonna do... again...?"

Daniel sighed, turning in his stool. "We're going to find a way to activate those energy powers."

"But I thought you were supposed to be focusing on that machine." Sam said.

"We are. I just need a power source."

Sam's eyes widened as realization hit him. "Are you telling me that you're using me?"

"Yep, we just have to find a way to distribute that power into one of my custom made batteries."

"Can't you like use a generator or a car battery?"

"Too easy, and one of the flaws I've given it is that it requires plenty of energy. Where can we find a generator that could provide a huge amount of electricity? And a little car battery won't solve anything."

Sam shifted in his spot. "I don't know. But can't you provide something temporary?"

Daniel looked at him, as if he said a keyword. "Temporary..."

He started to look around, rummaging through cabinets and drawers. He opened a tool drawer, smiled and pulled something out.

"I promised that I won't forget these, but I did. Thanks kid." He said, walking towards the door. "C'mon, let's activate that sucker."

Sam smiled and followed after him.

They walked through the corridor, passed by a few doors. Sam hummed and stared right at Daniel.

A door opened, catching Sam's attention. A head full of white flowing hair poked out, black eyes looking out. He spotted stitched cheeks.

The girl smirked as she got out, giving Sam shivers as he passed by her.

"The people here..."

"What?" Daniel tilted his head. "Haven't gotten used to killers?"

"Well, I just got here, of course I haven't. Plus, everyone looks weird."

"Awww, thank you." Daniel chuckled. "But you shouldn't really insult them, or do anything that would upset them. Just don't tell them that reminds them of their past."

"Why?"

"Like I said, just don't." He said. "Everyone here has been through a lot."

"How about you?"

"Parents were too... pushy."

"Pushy?"

"They locked me in my room, with no water or food, only books." He said. "My mom was a doctor, dad was a scientist. So, you could tell why they do that."

"So, what? You had low grades?"

"No." He shook his head. "They were pretty decent, passed the old honor student's grades. They just couldn't get enough. Eventually, I graduated high school when I was fourteen years old."

"Cool. Then what happened?"

A small smile grew on Daniel's lips. "They had an accident."

"Oh." Sam

"Four years later, I finished college, then another four years was spent studying human anatomy and such, and of course, the art of machines. Then I was discovered by Phoenix. They took me in as the intern, slash assistant, of one of the lead scientists."

"Sounds like you were living a limelight."

"Nah." Daniel chuckled. "Eventually, I haven't had fun in years, and I was hungry for... something."