Chapter Twenty-One: His Mistake

– Zach –

– Zach –

I've only known Luke for as long as I've been in Glenworth, and I didn't need any more time to be able to tell when he is on the brink of self-destruction. After spending one too many hours studying for his midterms, he couldn't help but jump at the idea when I invited him to 'hang out', of course, at the gym. He almost couldn't believe it when I did, because the Zach he knows never invites someone to 'hang out'.

The Zach I know wouldn't, too.

I watch as Luke squirms while bench-pressing a weight that is evidently too heavy for him, his face seemingly dunked in a bucket of red paint as his veins pop from beneath his pale layer of skin. As his temporary spotter, I should say something.

"I'm out." He wheezes when he sets the weights down, and for a moment there I was convinced he might pass out and I'd have to depend on my reflexes to make sure his neck wouldn't get crushed by the metal bar.

Luke dangles his limbs in midair as he rests to catch his breath, then he springs up, frightening me a little, and he puts on the widest grin he can possibly manage.

"Man, that felt great!" he says, adrenaline pumping through his blood like a drug. "I needed this, thanks." He extends a hand and we exchange a habitual handshake.

"You think you can ace the midterms now?" I ask.

"Eh, I probably can." He shrugs.

"I'm sure you can, I believe in you." Daniel says. I forgot he's here too, for some reasons, wearing his new flashy white Vans.

"Aw, thanks man!" Luke smiles appreciatively and I abandon the two of them to continue where I left off on the treadmill. "So, I heard you're the president of GSG."

"Yep." Daniel beams while chewing on a piece of hot wanton. Why are there hot wantons?

"Cool, so how's Zachy doing, eh?" Luke shifts the topic easily, and I internally brace myself. "Has he been causing any trouble?"

"Don't patronize me." I glare.

"Not really, in fact, I'd say him and Terra make a great team." Daniel comments. "To be honest, I even thought they were dating."

"Right?" Luke exclaims, getting excited. "He's in denial, as usual."

"I didn't say anything." I can't help but respond.

"Well, you can't really blame us for thinking that, Zach. I mean, I don't know if I should say this but..." Daniel hesitates.

"C'mon man, you can tell us anything. We're bros now!" Luke beams.

They just met thirty minutes ago.

"I don't know, I just listen to what Kelly and Kacey tell me. They're ahead of all the gossips on campus, anyway." Daniel shrugs. "Apparently, there are girls who talk about Zach."