Innocence

"That was really stupid. You could gotten yourself killed."

I sat in a chair it the medic waiting room, listening to Coulson berate me.

"I know. You've said."

"Not only was it irresponsible, but you put everyone's lives around you in danger."

"Well, then it's a good thing the only people who did get hurt were the bad guys."

"Hurt doesn't fall under the category of 'found dead on the lower levels poisoned with cyanide'".

"I wasn't only talking about the janitors."

He hesitated. "I'm sorry about what happened to him."

"Don't apologize to me. I didn't get shot in the stomach by someone I was trying to save from getting shot."

"It was an accident, Lucy."

"So I've been told."

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. "I understand that you're upset. But you heard the doctor's report. You finished your job, though not as beautifully as expected. You still completed the mission we gave you and we are very grateful."

I softened. "I'm sorry that I disobeyed the rules. And all the other times too. But you have to understand that it was something that was necessary, and I wouldn't have done it been there too big of a risk. And you're right. I did finish my job; for the most part."

"What else is there left for you to do?"

"Not exactly sure. But something."

The door in front of us opened and a woman stepped out. She was dressed in a lab coat and had short blonde hair. We both stood up as she walked toward us.

"Agent Coulson," she greeted. "Well, I'm pleased to announce that surgery was successful. Only minor internal injuries to report. He was lucky, the bullet narrowly missed his liver. He awake, but won't be moving for a few days at the least."

"Thank you, Doctor," Coulson replied.

"He's ready for visitors, if you feel the need," she added.

Coulson looked at me. "Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Alright then," he said, turning in his heel to walk out.

"W-What about you Agent Coulson?," the doctor called after him.

"Oh, he won't talk to me," he said over his shoulder, opening the other door and walking out of the room.

"Well," she said, turning to me. "I guess you can go right in then."

~•~

I closed the door behind me and turned around to see Peter propped up on the hospital bed, the familiar blue IV bag hooked up to him.

"Hey..." I said, taking a few steps toward him. "How are you feeling?"

He smiled weakly. "Better."

"That's good," I replied, stepping up to the foot of his bed and leaning against it.

There were a few moments of silence.

"I don't really know what to say," he said.

I sighed. "Well, for starters, that was a really brave thing that you did. Saving Pike like that."

He scoffed. "Well, I wouldn't necessarily call it bravery. Maybe, I found it to be a needed action under the circumstances."

"Well, that's one way of putting it," I replied.