Chapter 12: Keep Away

ANOTHER ONE!! Y'all gave me 89 comments just two hours after I posted Chapter 11 last night. That's love, and because of that I started writing immediately. Thanks for the continuous support. Y'all are the besttttt ! 

Chapter 12: Keep Away

Natalie

I sat at the park with Amir and Kelli, the woman I'd met at the cafe. I had gone back to the cafe' the next day, and we joined each other for lunch. Ever since then we've been having weekly outings. She was actually a pretty nice woman when you got to know her. Her husband had recently left her, and she moved to Sacramento to start over.

We were currently at the park watching Amir play on the swings having a casual conversation with each other. Kelli stood next to me as I pushed him.

"I'm serious when I came back home the dog had eaten everything!" She exclaimed. She was telling me a story about how she left her dog home unattended once and he completely destroyed her living room.

"And then to make it worse he was sitting in the middle of the floor looking so innocent when I walked in the house, I couldn't even yell at him." By now we were both doubled over in laughter. I could only imagine the look on that poor dogs' face when Kelli finally made it home.

Mir scrunched up his face and broke out into a fit of tears. I frowned looking over at him. Glancing down at my watch, I realized it was time for him to eat. I swear the boy was such a fat ass. I pulled him out of the swing and over to a little picnic table.

Luckily I'd packed lunch for the both of us. I pulled out a ham and cheese sandwich, and broke off a little piece before giving it to him. His little chubby arms reached out to grab the sandwich out my hand. I guess I wasn't feeding him fast enough.

"I swear this little boy is 8 months and eats like a grown man," I complained.

Kelli laughed while shaking her head. "My babyboy was the same way. He could eat you out of house and home, and then threw a fit when you stopped feeding him."

My mouth dropped in shock, "Tell me about it! Amir is the same way." I laughed thinking about this one time when I didn't want to feed him anymore.

"One time I just completely gave up on feeding him and I swear this boy started screaming to the top of his lungs. He tried to stand up in his high chair, grabbed both of my hands and shoved the food into his mouth himself." I laughed out loud just thinking about it. Amir on the other hand didn't think it was so funny. That day he'd given me the meanest mug I'd ever seen, he looked so much like his father in that moment.

I was so caught up in my laughter that I didn't even notice Kelli had gotten a distant look on her face. I could tell she was lost in thought about her son, she often brought him up whenever we met up.

"Is everything okay Kelli?" I asked reaching out to rub her shoulder.

Her eyes turned to me, and she looked upon with the most serious face.

"Can I ask you a question, Natalie?"

"Of course," I nodded.

"What's Amir's father's name?"

It was at that moment that everything came rushing to me like a ton of bricks. She had his eyes, his nose, his cheekbones, hell even his eyebrows. Sure Kelli's skintone was a little darker than Kellen's, but she was his mother no doubt. How could I not have put the two together before?

"Kellen," I finally answered her. "His name is Kellen Sanders."

Tears welled up in her eyes before spilling over. Once the dam broke there was no stopping it. She cried continuous tears of what I could only assume were joy and sadness. Joy, that she'd finally found him after all these years, sadness for the years that she'd lost.