Chapter 3

Chapter 3

*Victoria*

I change into the t-shirt and sweats Aaron gave me. The shirt stops just below my waist and I roll up the bottom of the sweatpants so I won't trip over them. I ball up my wet clothes and leave the bathroom.

Aaron sits on the arm of the couch, now wearing a t-shirt and a pair of shorts, as he talks on the phone. He laughs at whatever the other person is saying.

"I love you too." He says. "Goodnight." He hangs up and looks up at me. "Hey, I didn't hear you come out. Toss your clothes in that basket and I'll take them down to dry in a minute."

I toss my wet clothes into the nearby clothes basket. He then suddenly jumps up and begins to pick up misplaced toys.

"I'm sorry for the mess." He apologizes. "Sophie likes to use the entire apartment as her playroom."

"It's fine." I laugh. "This a nice apartment." The living room is open, connecting to a small open kitchen. A side hallway leads to two doors which I assume are Aaron's and Sophie's room.

"I wouldn't exactly call this nice." Aaron frowns. "It's affordable. For Manhattan at least." He dumps Sophie's toys in a nearby box labeled "toys".

"So uh, was that your girlfriend you were talking to?" I ask as I walk around the room, looking at pictures on the wall. It's amazing to see how big Sophie has gotten. She's not a baby anymore.

"Of course not." He laughs. "I don't have a girlfriend. That was just Sophie calling to say goodnight."

"I'm surprised you don't have a girlfriend. Girls would always throw themselves at you in high school. Has something changed?"

"I guess I just haven't been able to find the right girl." He gives me a small smile and a shrug. "I'm going down to the laundry room, I'll be back in a sec." He picks up the basket of clothes and leaves.

I look at a picture on the wall where Sophie grins ear to ear. Aaron hugs her from behind as he places a kiss on her cheek. Aaron is such a great father. If only the love he has for Sophie, could somehow extend a little towards a significant other.

My phone rings and I look to see it's Colton. I sigh as I answer the phone, hoping he's not drunk dialing me.

"Hey Babe." He says, soundly more drunk than when I left him. His words are beginning to slur a little.

"You're drunk dialing me." I say.

"No, no." He says quickly. "I want to apologize. I was out of line. We said that we wouldn't choose each other's friends, or let jealousy control us. I shouldn't have said anything; I was just a little buzzed from the beer pong. Though that's no excuse. I'm really sorry." Why is he so perfect? Even his apologies make my heart melt. It's crazy how much one person can affect you. "Can I make it up to you with dinner tomorrow night?"

"Okay. And maybe after we can hang out at your place?"

"Are you insinuating what I think you are?" He asks.

"No!" I exclaim, my cheeks warming up. "I just thought we could watch a movie or something."

"Okay. I'll be at your place by 6:00."

"It's a date!" The front door opens and Aaron walks in. He looks at the phone in my hand and his brows furrow. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"