Friends {13}

A couple of hours and a bucket of sweat later I saw the worn down brick building of my apartment. Unlocking my door I walked in and took a quick shower since I felt icky and sticky. Hopping out the shower I put on my old worn leggings and an oversized tshirt and I quickly slipped on some flip flops.

Walking over to Andys was the first normal thing that I had done all week. I was happy that tomorrow would be Thursday. I had two more days then I would have the weekend away from work. I felt like I needed a break from Mr McKinley.

The red and white brick building brought a smile to my face. The familiar smell of fruits greeted my nostrils. Walking into the back, I went to my boss office to inform him about my new schedule.

I gave three light taps into the red chipped paint door and with a 'come in' I walked into the room.

"Dee! How you feeling?" my boss said as he walked over to me.

It was moments like these that I loved my job. Looking into the wrinkled soft brown eyes of Mr Trate I thought about how much I missed seeing the old man.

I missed seeing his little limp that he had because of when he broke his knee years ago. His soothing voice and his soft wrinkled face just made my day feel better.

Engulfing me in his arms I hugged the old man back.

"Ed don't grow soft on me" I said with a light smile.

"Never. How you feeling?" he asked

"I gotta confess Ed. I wasn't sick I just had another job interview"

"Why didn't you tell me you know I wouldn't mind."

Sitting down I continued, "Yea but I just didn't want to make you disappointed when I didn't get the job"

"Well did you?"

Deciding not to stress Ed with my long story I said, "Yes of course I did. That's kind of why I'm here. I wanted to talk about my schedule."

"Wow! Congrats Dee!" a half an hour later me and Ed had agreed on a schedule. I would only work the night shifts on weekdays. And on weekends I would work my full three shifts. Ed tried to get me to not work at all during the weekend but I couldn't since I still needed money to pay my rent.

Walking out the office I had a smile on my face and that smile grew bigger when I saw my closest friend Kayla on the cash register in the front. I decided to wait for her in the kitchen with my favorite chef, Jeremy.

The thing that I loved about Andys was how we had a center in the middle and that is where we displayed the new foods that Jeremy would make combining our ingredients.

It was a great way for the customers to taste our ingredients incorporated in food before they bought them.

"Ahh Delilah where have you been? It's been mayhem without you."

"I was only gone for a day Jeremy!" I reminded him

"Well it felt like forever. Are on shift right now?"

"No I'm not. But I don't mind helping out."

"This is why I love you" he said blowing a kiss to me, "Can you go do rounds and take out the products that are expired or close to being. I had asked Scott but he's nowhere to he found. Ed said he has new shipments so you can either keep them or put them in charity whatever works."

"Alright" I said walking into the back to get the cart. Walking through all 9 aisles I found some cereal, canned goods, cookies, meat, dairy and some bread.

Going back with my carts I got rid of the meats and dairy that was expired. And I was faced with all the other things. I grabbed a box and packed the canned goods since they lasted the longest. I didn't want to give the charity's expired foods.

Taking out other boxes I gathered all the foods that I wanted. Looking into the box I was pleasantly surprised at the variety that I had. I had some bread, lots of snacks, couple of drinks and cereal. I also left some snacks for other people who might want it.

Grabbing the big but surprisingly light box I walked out of Andys and walked home. I put the box down before heading back to the store. Moments like these is what made me appreciate living five minutes away from Andys.

This was great. If I put all the foods in the fridge then then it could last me almost a month. When I went into the break room I saw Kayla and I rushed over to her.

"OMG Delilah where have you been?" Kayla asked

"Did someone say Delilah" Jason my closest guy friend said. And after him, in followed Maria.

Gathering around the table we sat down in our usual seats.

"Guys I had an interview"

A chorus of 'omg' 'wow' and 'where' is what I heard and I dived into the story, telling them every detail. It felt so good to talk to people who I trusted about this.

Us four were all on the same boat. We didn't judge anybody nor did we make fun of anybody. Because at the end of the day we always knew that we had each other.

Looking around the table I was so grateful to have this group of friends. We all met at Andys and have been inseparable ever since. Sitting in a squeaky chair in a hot break room surrounded by 3 amazing friends was comforting to me. This is me and I wouldn't change a thing about it.