Chapter 8- Guts

We stared down at the body, we were about to destroy. I looked at it with disgust and nausea made it's self at home in the pit of my stomach.

Rick's plan was genius, infiltrate the walkers by covering up with their stench. The only problem was if they couldn't make it out of there alive, then we couldn't either.

Glenn and Rick walked in with white lab coats and solemn faces. Rick had an axe in his hand and was prepared to butcher the body.

Rick looked down at the corpse at his feet and took a deep breath. Rick was prepared to bring the axe down on the poor soul when he stopped and dropped the weapon.

At first I thought he chickened out, instead he kneeled down and went through the body's pockets.

He pulled out a wallet and read out his name. "This mans name, is Wayne Dunlap. He had a picture of a pretty girl, he was an organ donor, he had fifteen dollars in his wallet when he died. He used to have a life like everyone else, like us."

I stared down at Wayne, the poor man must not have known what had happened, just that he was being gnawed on by insane people.

Without warning Rick brought the axe down on Wayne, dismembering his body into little pieces.

Before we started smothering the pair in guts, Rick pulled out the key to unchain Merle. He tossed it to T-Dog before he bent down and got to work.

I gaged and tried not to throw up as we rubbed the blood and intestines over Glenn and Rick.

After a minute Glenn doubled over and threw up. I wanted to throw up too, but I held the contents in my stomach.

Glenn and Rick smelt horrible, exactly like a walker. I took off the gloves and quickly pinched my nose to rid of the smell.

Rick and Glenn lead the group to the door that lead to the alley. I opened it for them and they stalked outside.

"Good luck." I whipsered before shutting the door behind them quietly. We raced upstairs, Taylor tossed me my bag on the way up. When we got to the top we ran to the edge and stared down into the streets.

Merle was hysterical. He kept shouting at us to give him the key. We continued to ignore him.

I looked down into the streets, searching for any sign of Glenn and Rick.

Merles tired voice sounded from behind me again, this time slow and steady. "Hey blondie, how bout you help your old pal Merle out by getting that key hmm?"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Now why would I do that Merle?" I asked, not bothering to turn around.

He stayed quiet for a minute, his brain working hard on finding a excuse. Andrea quickly distracted me. "Look there they are!" She pointed to two unmistakable figures trudging along, Glenn and Rick.

I started to feel cool drops of water land randomly on me, and I looked up to the sky. It was dark, covered in a grey, angry clouds.

My heart skipped a beat as I realized what this would do. The rain would wash the stench away, making them walker targets.

I looked to Morales in fear and he tried to reassure me. "Don't worry, it's just a freak storm, it'll go away in a minute." I nodded and the rain started to get heavier.

Glenn and Rick broke into a run, killing walkers on the way. I dug my nails into the palm of my hand, watching nervously as they sprinted to the chain link fence in front of them. All I could do was stand here and hope they would make it without a scratch. The walkers were hot on their heels when they reached the construction. They barely made it over the fence in time.

"They made it." Jacque breathed out happily. I smiled when they got into a truck and prepared to come get us.

"Oh my gosh are they leaving us?" Andrea asked, horror filling her voice.

I patted her arm. "Don't worry Andrea it's all a part of the plan."

She said nothing but watched the truck slowly drive off into the distance.

I flung my bag over my shoulder. "Come on, let's go." I shouted.

Everyone followed after me and then I heard shouts of objection. I had forgotten about Merle. "T-Dog, unlock Merle!" I shouted over my shoulder.

He sighed and quickly ran over to him. We ran down the stairs. We reached the loading zone just in time to hear a car alarm whiz by.

The sound quickly disappeared then the faint hum of an engine increased. We all pulled on the chain and sure enough Rick stood there in the back of a small transport truck.

We quickly piled in, after a second T-Dog jumped right on, a group of walkers behind him.

Morales quickly shut the back hatch and we rode in silence for a moment, catching our breaths.

I sat between Jason and Taylor hugging them both close to me as if they were going to leave me.

Andrea and Jacque sat across from us clinging to each other, Morales and Rick sat up front and T-Dog sat silently by himself looking depressed.

Before I could ask what was wrong he looked up and into my eyes before answered my question. "I dropped the key down the drain."

I bit my lip and a pang of guilt washed through me. I moved closer to Taylor. We drove for a long while in silence. A loud car alarm sounded from behind us. I heard Rick and Morales chuckle and I looked through the windshield. Glenn was shouting and driving a red sports car. He was hollering and fist pumping by the looks of it.

A small smile tugged on my lips and I instantly wiped it off. How could I possibly be smiling when I had just abandoned a man on a roof with no escape.

I relaxed back beside Taylor and listened in to Rick's coma story, about how he lost his family, how he woke up alone and uninformed.

I just hope we could find them for him. I stood up and walked up to Morales and Rick in the drivers area. "I hope you find your family Rick, I'll help you at any cost." I said, even though I was eavesdropping.

He nodded and offered a small smile. "Thank you, Mariah." I looked down at Rick and finally got my first real look at him.

He had soft blue eyes with shortly cut hair with no facial hair what so ever. He had a kind face, one that shows determination and loyalty.

My eyes flickered to the scenery outside the window. We were on a old dirt road and tree's surrounded both sides of the road. I went back to sit with my siblings, who knew how long this ride would be.

I quickly braided my hair back and snuggled closer to Jason and Tayler. After a little while longer of the bumpy road we came to a stop and I could hear excited voices shouting from outside.

Morales, Jacque, T-Dog and Andrea quickly jumped out of the truck and went to their families. The rest of us slowly hopped out after them, the only one left in the truck was Rick in the drivers seat.

I crossed my arms and stood beside Jason awkwardly. Andrea hugged a petite blonde girl, and Morales picked up two little kids. He gave a young hispanic woman a small kiss and turned around to face us while new people stared at us with curiosity.

"Come meet everybody."