Surprises

Frank was both giddy and nervous as he drove, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. They were headed to the PATH subway station in Hoboken, their destination in New York.

"Where are we going?" Gerard asked for the third time, poking Frank's cheek.

"It's a surprise, Gee. I'm not going to tell you," Frank chuckled, the redhead sighing heavily and slumping in his seat.

A mischievous smirk crossed his face, an idea popping into his head. "Are you sure about that?" he said alluringly, lightly stroking Frank's thigh. The tattooed man quietly gasped when Gerard's fingers trailed higher and higher until he was directly palming him.

"Alright, alright; hands off my cock while I'm driving," Frank said breathlessly, Gerard chuckling and sitting back in his seat.

"It's in New York City," he conceded, giving up details but still doing his best to keep it secret. "And it's a celebration of sorts."

"I've never been to New York," Gerard mumbled, his cheeks flushed a light pink.

"Never?" Frank gasped, Gerard shaking his head. "Oh, Gee, you're gonna fucking love it."

They soon reached Hoboken, storing the car in a nearby parking garage before walking the two blocks to the subway station. Frank swiped his metro pass and gestured for Gerard to go through, swiping again for himself before following behind.

Gerard chewed his lip as anxiety filled him, the large crowds of strangers and the possibility of getting lost in an unfamiliar place making his heart race. Frank noticed how tense he was, linking their fingers together and soothingly rubbing his thumb across the back of his hand. Gerard smiled gratefully, visibly relaxing once they were out of the center of the crowds.

"I've never ridden a subway before, either," Gerard said quietly, Frank squeezing his hand.

"You'll like it, I promise," he whispered, pecking his cheek. Gerard flushed pink, the light blush still on his cheeks when the subway car whooshed into the station. It screeched to a stop at the end of the platform, hundreds of people trudging off and hundreds more piling on, Gerard and Frank among them.

There were definitely not enough seats for everyone, Gerard and Frank giving up their seats for a mother and her three kids. She smiled gratefully, her children chorusing 'thank you'. The oldest child was fascinated by Frank's tattoos, her eyes taking in every inch of exposed, inked skin.

"Mommy, look at the pretty pictures on his arms!" she squealed, her mother chuckling and nodding. "They're on his neck too! And his hands!"

"How can I get pictures like that?" she excitedly asked him, Frank chuckling endearingly at her.

"You have to wait until you're all grown up. And it hurts pretty bad," he answered, her smile faltering a bit.

"Why did you do it if it hurt?" she asked, Gerard perking up a little to hear the answer.

"Because sometimes the things that hurt us are worth it," he said softly, bopping her on the nose and making her giggle.

He knelt down and gestured for her to come closer and whispered, "And you know how male peacocks have such pretty colors and designs on their feathers?" she nodded. "Well, that helps them attract a mate. And it kinda works like that with humans, too. Gerard loves my tattoos."

"Oh! Okay!" she said happily, taking a seat next to her mother again. "I definitely want tattoos when I grow up! Mommy, is it okay if I get tattoos?"

"Of course, sweetie," her mother said with a loving smile, kissing her forehead.

"What'd you tell her that you wouldn't let me hear?" Gerard asked, an amused smirk on his lips.