3| Cinnamon Brown Sugar

After bagging up the cinnamon bagels, I grabbed some napkins and handed it to one of my favorite customers

"Here you go, Mrs. Qualls," I smiled cheerfully. "I put some honey and that strawberry cream cheese you like down in the bag for you."

"Oh, thank you, Ms. Katy," the elderly woman smiled back and took the bag a little shakingly. "You always know how to brighten my day."

I waved her off while closing the cash register. "It's no problem at all ma'am. Seeing you and your grandsons every morning makes my day, too."

That made her chuckle. "Well, they certainly love seeing you, that's for sure. Tyler was especially upset this morning when he realized he had to go back to school and couldn't see you today. But I promised them both I would ask for some of your cocoa cappuccino cookies to make up for it," she smiled sweetly as her eyes scanned the display cases for the dessert. When they didn't find that they were looking for her small lips curled down and she asked, "Oh my, are you already sold out of them?"

My smile wavered only slightly although I wanted to wear the same expression as Mrs. Qualls. I can't have people knowing that something was wrong, so with the most chipper voice I could muster I answered, "No ma'am. We just had a little shipment issue the other day so we need some more ingredients before making them again. They will be back shortly!"

I hope, I mentally added.

"Ah, I see," her kind smile returned back full force. "Well, when they do I'll be first in line to buy a dozen! Tyler and James can't seem to get enough of them," she chuckled while sliding her purse back over her shoulder.

My laughter came out a little shaky. "Right, well we will be sure to let you know, Mrs. Qualls. I look forward to seeing you guys that day."

"We do as well, dear!" she opened the door making the bell go off again. She waved behind her as she stepped out. "Have a great day!"

"You too!" I waved back although knowing her developing hearing problem I doubt she heard me.

When the bell stopped ringing and I saw her get into her car, I dropped my act like a sack of sugar and leaned against the counter with a huff. The weight of the situation sat on my shoulders demanding to be acknowledged, something I had been avoiding for a while now.

But I wasn't stupid, I knew this day would come. It's been a week since Deborah left and people are already questioning the absence of her cookies. At first, I could use the excuse that we ran out of them for that day, but now it's getting more difficult. I guess there is no point in avoiding it now. I have to recreate them somehow.

The only problem is I may or may not have misplaced the recipe she gave me the other day.

Okay, so that's a complete lie, I know exactly where it is: in my jeans back pocket which is currently in the dryer, after it had been washed. I had debated on calling Deborah several times, but I'm not sure I want to admit to her I've already destroyed her sacred ingredients. It just shows how responsible I really am. I kept putting it off day after day, but now I see that's not going to be a luxury anymore.