Chapter 11- Phil's POV

Dan and I sat on the floor of my bedroom- I didn't want him making my bed all sticky and Starbucks-y- as he explained what had happened. My only thought through the entire story was that Elana was completely crazy. What girl did that? Honestly. 

Dan finished his story and laid on the ground, exhausted. I laid down a couple inches from him. "Well, are you upset over the breakup? Do you regret it at all?" I asked. Dan smiled and I could see his dimples, which are probably the most adorable part of him. God, his smiles got to me.

"Nah." He said. "It was time. Plus, I think that I'm falling for someone else." My stomach exploded in butterflies, and I risked the question. "Who?"

Dan closed his eyes. "Someone. It's a secret, though." "Do I know them?" I asked. Dan nodded. "Yeah."

At that moment I was filled with bravery, and I was sitting up, about to lean in and do what I've been wanting to do for a while. Because, honestly, I think he was talking about me. Life hates me, though, because just as I was sitting up, I heard the door to the house open and my mum and dad came in from the restaurant they went to for dinner. "Philly! We're home!"

I sighed. "I'm in my room, Mum! Oh! And Dan's over, too!" 

"Oh! Okay. Hello, Dan!" She yelled back. Dan had become a regular at my house, and my parents had grown to like him a lot.

"Hi, Mrs. Lester!" Dan yelled back. He got up and held out his hand to help me up. We both walked into the kitchen. My mum had her back turned to us, but she heard us come in. "How are you Dan? Is you mum-" She turned around. "Oh. Oh my, what happened? What's in your hair? Phil, did you play a prank on Dan?"

Dan shook his head. "No. My ex-girlfriend didn't take the breakup well and dumped an entire large cup of Starbucks on me." My mum's eyes went large. "Oh. Well then, I guess it's good you broke up with a crazy girl like that."

Dan nodded. "Yeah, I'm glad we broke up. I think I'm going to go home, though. Bye, Mrs. Lester. Bye, Phil." He tried to give me hug, but I jokingly moved away. "Yeah, no. I don't want a coffee bath!" Dan laughed then walked out the door.

My mum turned to me. "I thought he was gay? Is he not...?" I shrugged. "I'm pretty sure he's at least bi. I think the girlfriend was a cover up. I'm pretty sure he likes me, though!" I slightly danced around the kitchen. I was so happy every time I thought about it. 

"Hmmm," My mum thought for a second. "Phil, you know we're having a Valentine's Day party, right?" I nodded. "Well, since he's single now, you should invite him. But just as a friend. Maybe he'll get the hint? It's worth a try."

I gave my mum a big hug. "That's a great idea! Mum, you're a genius!" She laughed. "I know."

The next day at school during lunch, I texted Dan. Come over here and pretend to demand homework. 

Ummm, why? He responded.

Because I need to tell you something.

I watched Dan get up and walk over. I pulled out a notebook and started righting down bogus science-y looking answers. "Okay, so you're coming over Saturday. My parents are having a Valentine's Day party, and since we're both single I thought we could hang out and I could introduce you to Buffy!" Dan smiled. "Sounds good! I'll be there." I handed him the piece of paper and he left.

May I just say, that the week went by so. Freaking. Slow. Why is it that whenever I was hanging out with Dan the time leading up to it seemed to take forever?

Saturday finally came around and I stood in front of my closet with my mum. "But, what should I wear? I don't want to look like I'm trying to hard, but I don't want to look like I normally do."

My mum rolled my eyes. "Phil, I swear that you're worse than a girl. How about this? It'll bring out your eyes." She held up a plaid blue shirt I hadn't worn in a while. I nodded approvingly. "You're right. I'll wear that." My mum left and I changed, then straightened up my room.

When I opened the door for Dan, the first thing he said was, "Wow. Your eyes are really blue!" I smiles and gave him a hug. "Ready for me to introduce you to the wonders of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?"

Dan smiled. "You bet!" We went upstairs and sat on my bed, watching Buffy and eating the chocolate I had bought the day before. Almost the entire time, Dan kept telling me, "Oh my God! Why have I never watched Buffy before? This is awesome!" I kept shushing him. 

After two hours of Buffy, I looked over at Dan, who was watching intently. I saw the way his brown eyes were focused, how his brown fringe swept perfectly over his forehead. "Dan," I began. "I need to tell you something. I-" Of course, at that moment my mum's friend's six year old daughter burst into my room. "Your mummy says that you two have to come down for dinner!" She said, then ran out.

OH MY GOD. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. EVERY TIME I TRY TO SAY SOMETHING TO DAN, SOMEONE GETS IN THE WAY. 

Dan looked at me. "You what?" 

"I, um, I'm proud of how you're doing in school." Stupid, Phil. Why can't you just say how you're feeling?

Dan's face fell a bit. "Oh. Thank you!" He tried to counter it quickly, but I could tell that he was expecting more. 

We went down and had an excellent dinner- my mum, and my dad, were great cooks! After stuffing ourselves, and talking for a bit, Dan looked at his phone. "Sorry, everyone, but I have to go. Thank you for the excellent dinner, Mrs. Lester. It was nice to meet you all." I walked him to the door and waved to him as he drove away. 

When I returned to my seat at the table, my mum's friend gave me a look. "Is that your boyfriend, Phillip? If so, you did well." I shook my head. "Unfortunately, he's not."

"Yet." My mum said.

"Yet." I repeated.