Chapter 12- Dan's POV

I drove home from Phil's, feeling slightly upset. I was sure that Phil was going to tell me "I love you" when that girl ran in. But he didn't. I explored every reason why he wouldn't have. Maybe he lost his courage? Maybe he decided it wasn't the right moment? Or, the one I tried to push out of my head, maybe he wasn't in love with me like I was with him?

I got home and my mum was out with some friends, and I laid on my bed, trying to sort it all out. I couldn't exactly control what was going on in Phil's head, so I just let it go, allowing myself to drift into sleep. My dreams were filled with Phil and his spectacularly blue eyes, and in my dreams, he told me that he loved me.

I woke up the next morning angry because my dream ended. It was seriously the best dream I had ever had. I walked into the kitchen to see my mum making breakfast, which was weird, because my mum hadn't made breakfast in years.

"Good morning, Dan!" She said cheerily, giving me a hug. "Um, good morning?" I said. "I assume you had a good time yesterday?"

My mum flipped a pancake. "Oh, Dan! I had a wonderful time! I met a great guy! He asked me out on a date this weekend." She must have seen me tense up. "Don't worry. It's just one date, it doesn't mean anything."

I nodded. I had always been scared about letting in another father-figure. I was scared that he would hurt me and leave me like my real dad did. "If it makes you happy, Mum, then I'm okay with it. You should get out and date and stop staying home."

I think I saw tears in my mum's eyes. She had been wanting me to be able to get to this point for a long time. She put down the spatula she was holding and pulled me into a long hug. "I am so proud of you, Daniel. You have changed so much- for the better- in the last few months. I love you. What your dad did was not your fault. People just do bad things, sometimes." I was full out sobbing in my mum's arms. She had told me that it wasn't my fault almost weekly since my dad left, but for whatever reason, it didn't sink in until Phil told me after that party. But now I fully understand. It was never my fault, and I couldn't control it.

My mum and I cried together for a bit until we heard the fire alarm go off. "Oh, no!" my mum yelled, running over to the pan where the pancakes were hopelessly burned and smoking. "Oh, well. I already made enough for breakfast." I looked at my mum, and we laughed like we haven't laughed in years.

While we ate breakfast, my mum had an idea. "How about after school on Friday we go out to that little village we used to always visit when you were little! It's only a half hour away and we could go for a couple hours!"

I nodded in agreement. "That sounds like a good idea! I'll just tell Phil and we'll just reschedule our tutoring."