Twenty-Seven: Games & Dinner

Sydney

I hated this.

I hated that despite the traumatic attacks, the arguments, the stalking, and overall flipping of my world, that standing in the shower washing my hair, my thoughts kept drifting back to Jay and his intention to take me out.

No, I will not get excited over him. He is my friend. He's barely even that. Do not go in with expectations, that'll only set you up for heartbreak.

My wolf argued back countless times saying that he was our mate and he couldn't hurt us. But when she said couldn't I heard wouldn't, meaning it was still possible for him to do so if he wanted. It was hard for me to believe Jay even took this seriously. All his actions with other girls leading up to meeting me said he hadn't.

My water had turned cold pulling me out of my thoughts. Drying from my shower, I dressed in the cozy sweater and sweats. Tiredness swept over me and Jay's bed greeted me with open arms. Crawling into the fluff of the comforter, I let is swaddle me and my thoughts.

Again thoughts of Jay and the past days carried me off to sleep.

☽✣☾

My eyes opened on their own, and I woke surprisingly refreshed. A clock on Jay's side table altered me that I had slept for three hours.

Instinctually my hand went searching for my phone, only to remember it was likely still in Jay's car.

Jaci was kind enough to give me a pair of jeggings that turned out to be leggings with the appearance of washed blue jeans and a ruffly tunic cut shirt. Brushing through my honey gold hair, I threw it up in a messy bun then went the extra mile of braiding a cord of hair to wrap around the bun. Slipping on a pair of Jaci's loaned black Tom's I was good to go.

I skipped downstairs-trying to keep myself from breaking, knowing that keeping a cool face and keeping my act together was the best thing to do in this situation-and searched for Jay.

The Mat and Terrence lounged and played in the living room on the nice black leather sectional couch, playing and yelling at the TV that appeared to be a shooter game displayed on it.

"Hey, do you guys know where Jay is?" I asked leaning up on the counter of the kitchen.

Mat grunted and fell back onto the couch from his crouched position. He looked over to me with his pouty lips and whined, "Syd! You got me killed!"

"Oh boo who. I hate to say it Matty, but you were never a good player, to begin with." The words rolled off my tongue nonchalantly.

"Woah! You did not just go there, Syd! You did not just go there!" Mat sobbed.

"Oh, yes I did," I sassed back.

"Girlfrien' you shouldn't start a fight you can't end." Mat said in a mockingly feminine voice.

I chuckled. "Okay, scoot over and let me show you who's boss. Terrence, would you mind giving me the sticks for a sec?"

Terrence smiled cockishly and nodded. "I would pay to see Mat get his ass whipped by a girl. It'd put him in his place."

"What are you saying, Terrence?" I asked, cocking my head to the side looking for a challenge.

"Nothing Cinderella, nothing at all," Terrence said shaking his head in dismay.

He handed over the silver platinum X-box controller.

"Get ready to be beaten into the ground, Hills."

Mat's head snapped to me. "Did you just downgrade me to a last name friend?"

I smiled at me knowing my smile answered his question.